What is TIVO?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim Beaver, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

Hi i just recently heard of this Tivo thing? I don't know what it is or anything? Can someone explain? Is it an American thing i live in Canada and ive only heard of Tivo mentioned on American channels.

2. Jim Beaver

Thanks but the FAQ didn't really help me. I just want a normal answer without a faq confusing me.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Think of a Tivo as a computer that records TV shows on a hard drive, and by downloading the Channel Guide (a subscription service), a recording schedule is used to tell Tivo what show to record, when to record it, and for how long to record the show.

It's a souped up VCR in that you have random access to any recording, and you never have to rewind the tape. If you watch a lot of TV, Tivo will change the way you watch your favorite shows because you watch the shows at your leisure and convenience, and commercials can be skipped much more quickly than if you were watching a VHS tape.

The interface is pretty intuitive, and you just scroll around, find the record show you want, and then select it for playback.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Some digital video recorders (DVR) record like a VCR. You pick a program to record and and it sets a start and stop time like a VCR. That's good until the networks decide to change things on you. Tivo is name based recording. If a program moves time slots, Tivo will find it. If it runs a two hour special, Tivo records all of it. If you like an actor, director or a sports team, tell Tivo. It will record anything with that name. Turn on Suggestions and Tivo will record shows it thinks you might like.

I hate to watch TV without my Tivo.

-Robert

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I can only speak on behalf of the ReplayTV, but it's basically the same thing as TiVo.

The best part is I can be in the process of recording a program and still watch programs that have already been recorded...all at the same time [​IMG] Or even better, if the show is 15 minutes into its recording, I can play it back from the beginning while the unit is still in the process of recording the rest of the show.

Let's see a VCR do that wihtout creating a rip in the space time continuum. [​IMG]

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

TiVo is a life changing experience! :b I never buy a TV Guide anymore. Never check the TV listings in the newspaper either. I just trust my TiVo to record all my favorite shows every week since I've set up Season Passes for them. Plus the built-in guide that is updated daily provides me with information about all other shows I might have a passing interest in. Even the TiVo Suggestions feature works well. It's recorded several outstanding shows based on my preferences. When shows are recorded, they can be sorted by date or by category...neatly placing multiple shows of series in individual folders. I was terrible writing titles on tapes when I used a VCR. With TiVo it doesn't matter because the name of the show is right there, along with the date it was recorded, as well as a detailed description of the show itself. And Mark mentioned maybe my favorite features...the ability to watch shows that were previously recorded while a new program is recorded and the ability to watch shows from the beginning that you might have walked in late on. [​IMG]

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

"the best thing since sliced bread!"

read the thread right below this one...some good explanations of how a pvr works.

8. Jim Beaver

I never asked this before but is TIVO available in Canada? I don't know anybody who has it or heard of it before i found out about it.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Jim, have you heard of ReplayTV ? According to the web site, it's available in North America. It's pretty much the same as TiVo. It's obviously debateable, but I think it's actually better.

11. HomerG

HomerG Auditioning

One thing Tivo (at the very least, I don't know about the other PVR/DVRs out there) can miss out on are live shows like Awards shows (which I hate) and sports. Since there can be overtime and even the regular course of a game may take it over the time alotted, you can miss out. At this time, there is no "alerting" a Tivo that a show is going over...

I still love my Tivo. I only use my VCR to offload shows to make room.

12. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Geez I can't imagine watching an awards show again without Tivo. It would be unbearable. With Tivo you can skip all the commercials and any segments you find uninteresting, watch it in about half the time, and still finish at the same time (unlike VCR where you'd have to wait until the show ended until you start watching).

It's easy to pad the ending of shows you know are likely to run long or late.

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I pad awards shows at least one hour and college football two hours. Can't miss any of those seven overtime games that run 5 hours.

-Robert

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul