What is This?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Berry, Oct 28, 2002.

1. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

I recently received from my brother-in-law an "AMP Series 1000" that is about 10" long, 5" high, and about 6" wide. It weighs a ton due to the fact that there is a 1000 kvA torroidal transformer in it that is feeding 6 orange outlets in the back of it. There are no RCA/Balances connections to this, just a 16/3 cord to the wall outlet.
    The only other wording on it is "isolated outlets". I have had a look inside of it, and it appears very simple in design.
    As I am not familiar with power conditioners, AC voltage regulators, etc., could someone shed some light here.

Thank you

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Absent a brand/make model label to research, I hazard a guess this is an isolation transformer. You can search for more on the net.

The "isolated" outlets typically help prevent electrical crosstalk between digital and analog components.

Isolation transformers are quite good at eliminating common mode ground interference, usually magnetic induced fields or hum-producing "noise."

3. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Bill, I'll start an internet search at least on isolation transformer and see where it leads me.