What is this?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ScottR, Jan 21, 2004.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I have asked this question in the past, but no one seemed to be able to answer. I'm wondering what causes the "flickering" effect on some films and tv shows. The best way I can describe it, is when you look at a shiny object (like a glass or a chandelier, or a dress with sequins) and the image keeps flickering from bright to dark. It is very annoying. I noticed it on Episode 19 of Green Acres. It is the only episode from the first season set like this. Is this DVNR? Or is the print like this? I have seen it on countless other films.

2. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Sounds like Macrovision to me. You don't have the DVD player hooked up through the VCR or something by chance?

If it were Macrovision, tho, I would think all of the Green Acres eps would be like this, not the first one.

-paul

3. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

No, the dvd player is not hooked to the vcr. I noticed the same problem with Mary Tyler Moore and one episode of Charlie's Angels.....I also noticed it on Rosemary's Baby. I caught Rosemary's Baby on cable and it exhibited the same problem as the dvd. On the Green Acres episode there are virtually no specks of dirt (including the opening credits, whereas most of the other episodes' opening credits are riddled with dirt.) I figured that maybe this episode needed more cleaning up and DVNR was overapplied. On this Green Acres episode the chandelier, candles, jars, Lisa's pearl necklace, etc. all "pulsate" every second or so, creating a flicker effect...but only on certain parts of the image.

4. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Probably just bitrate problems, or something odd with framerate. Not sure.