What's new

What is this pond plant? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ah! Those bring back memories! When I was a kid, we used to dunk them in the pond and then whip them at each other like whips. Man did they sting!!! :D

EDIT: I meant to say pond instead of lake.

mylan

Screenwriter
We used to soak them in gas or kerosene and use them as a torch just like they did on Gilligans Island.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just thought of something funny. My female friend and I used to hit each other with the wet cattails because she lived near a pond. We were both real young (elementary school) and used to call them "wet willies" - I can't recall, but I assume we had no idea what the term meant, but we used to yell WET WILLIE! and then hit each other with them.

Now that I think back on it, I wonder if we ever mentioned the term Wet Willie to anyone? I wonder if I ever told her mom that we were going out to play Wet Willie? :D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think a "wet wilie" is when you stick your index finger in your mouth to wet it and then jam it, well.. stick it, in somebody's ear... that's a 'wet willie' at least as I've been told. :laugh:

Jay

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Its Typha (cat tail) of which there are two types Latifolia and Angustifolia. There's also a hybrid (Glauca) of the two that's becoming a real problem as it tends to take over wetlands and exclude other plant species. The Angustifolia type tends to have a more narrow leaf and prefers deeper water where as Latifolia has a wider leaf and is found in shallow water. The Glauca hybrid grows everwhere and tends to be taller then the other two. Your picture appears to be Latifolia to me but its hard to tell from the picture

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks