What's new

What is this gunk on my iron? (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

These are pictures of the bottom of my basic black & decker steam iron (steamxpress 620). What is this crap, how do I get rid of it easily, and what can I do to prevent it?

Thanks for any help.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The same crap that comes out of the faucet and goes down your throat.

I think the solution is to use bottled water/water filter, but you should be able to use an SOS type pad to clean it up.

Glenn

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Hard water deposits. The stuff is also inside the iron, needs to be flushed out. Buy a Pur filter instead of bottled water and use the water from that.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
A non-stick Iron would help. Some of that is particles of your clothing

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Also, spend a little more for a better iron. Best brands are Panasonic, Rowenta and T-Fal. Black & Decker and other "domestic" brands are throw aways. They last a year or two at the most and then you need a new one.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If it is hard water deposits (looks like it might be), a product called CLR might remove them, inside and out. I've used it to remove lime deposits from my showerhead many times. Also great for cleaning your coffee maker.

I think I'd use distilled water from now on.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum. :D

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Also, spend a little more for a better iron.
I've got a $100 Rowenta and it gets those black deposits, too. I'm not sure what it is, but I use an "iron cleaner" to get rid of it. Basically it's a cream that you squeeze onto a terrycloth rag and iron over it. Then buff off on a clean cotton rag. Works great. The cream I use is made by Rowenta, but I'm sure it will work with any iron. :)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Try using Fantastic to get the gunk off.

And as someone mentioned use distilled water in the iron. You can pick up a gallon at the supermarket, it's cheap and it'll last for months.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Most of the better irons really don't require distilled water. It's much cheaper in the long run to get a faucet purifier then buying distilled water. Any of the Rowenta, Panasonic or T-FAL irons in the $60 to $100 range are excellent. Go to websites to see prices from Amazon, etc. Some have Teflon bottoms but believe it or not a stainless steel one irons better. Teflon tends to make the iron too slippery. That CLR is excellent for cleaning and I believe you can also use vinegar to flush out the iron's innards from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks