What's new

What is this defect called? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
What is this defect called? Occasionally I've seen brief, horizontal flashes on DVD image. The flash is not the width of the picture, is just a thin line, and it's undoubtedly less than a second.

I might suspect "dirty" lens, which I've read of, but it doesn't occur on many disks. Is there a name, and explanation for what I've seen?

Thanks

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
John need more info on your setup. What player and viewing devices are you using?

John Watson

Screenwriter
I'm not much on the technology. It's a Sears DVD player bought a bit over 3 years ago, with (probably) the simplest connection possible to a 27" Sony of similar vintage.

The first DVD I noticed the phenom on was PRINCESS BRIDE, the second (anamorphic) release of this movie, from a couple of years ago.

The second time it was noticeable was on one volume of SCORCESES' BLUES (a seven disk set), whicj I was playing a few days ago. The next disk I played from the Scorcese set did not seem to have the problem.

For these reasons, I've assumed it's a problem on the disk, not on the player.

As it's not a serious defect (compared to when a movie breaks into pixilation, or "skips") I 'm just curious whether other people have ever experienced it, and whether it has a "name" or an explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks