What is this conduit for?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Jan 25, 2003.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I was walking through my soon to be new house today to measure for a fridge and take more pictures. I got a picture of a wiring cabinet that routes the coax and cat5e cable into a central location to be sent to the other rooms.

http://alletto.dyndns.org/images/new/wiring.jpg

I'm confused at what I'm looking at. The cat5e and coax are obvious, but what is that orange tube for? I thought phone, but there are no cables in it. There is also a single green cat5 in the cat5e bundle. They messed up in setting up jacks throughout the house by only putting 1 phone jack in the entire house and its in the kitchen (they are supposed to call me monday about that, there is no reason that all the bedrooms shouldn't have a phone jack...hell my apartment has phone jacks on opposite walls in the bigger rooms). All the other jacks in all the other rooms are dual cat5e jacks.

When the phone line comes into the house and to the board where it splits to all the other jacks does it come in on a phone cable with rj11 connector or does it come in on a cat5 with a rj45 connector? If its rj45 then the green one might be the phone incoming line. There is another picture in the set of the outside that shows the same looking orange tubing coming out of the house next to mine. I'm going to ask them about it monday but was wondering if anyone else had seen this.

And in a separate question, for those of you with homes, how far does your fridge stick out? I'm curious if a side by side with a depth of 33 3/4" will fit comfortably in a space with a depth of 32 1/2". They need about an inch clearance to back wall so about 2 inches will be sticking out. Is that too much?

Thanks!

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

I think the Orange tube is there for future runs ?

3. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I agree.the orange pipe probably runs right into the attic. Check outside to see if the green line is out there. The phone lines punch down on a block. then use patch cords with the rj11 to conect betteen the master line or demarc and the phone lines running through out the house. they have about 8 punch downs per line. and usaully three rows of line inputs( line1,fax, internet). really neat and easy to change lines around. the phone lines in this system are all ran with cat5e. they should only have to change the wall plate if the lines are already there.

the fridge can stick out a few inches is perfectly normal. my dad installs kitchens and says that the back of the fridge doors usaully stick out flush with the front of the pantry doors or gable.so you can open the doors.

4. MikeAlletto

Oh, yeah I didn't even think of future runs. I'll have to ask the builder when he calls me. Each room has 2 rj45 jacks with only 1 rj11 in the entire house (the kitchen) but some of them say cat5e in type over the jack and some don't. I'm assuming the ones that don't are slated as phone and the ones that do are slated as network. Which is why I left a question with the builder asking why I though there was only 1 phone jack in the whole house. You can use an rjll connector in an rj45 jack right? It will just make contact with 4 wires but only needing the middle 2. So in theory the rooms are already wired for phone and network. If I don't want to use it as a phone it should be as simple as disconnecting at the board and plugging the cat5 cable into my router instead.
    The 'punchboard' (not really punch anything but for lack of a better term) picture is here

http://alletto.dyndns.org/images/new/punchboard.jpg

I've just been trying to sort out how I'm going to setup my network now that I'll have a central location and won't have to run cat5 from room to room on the floor like I do in my apartment now [​IMG]

I've also noticed that they ran speaker wire to the family room. On the far wall near the floor is a big blank wall plate that I'm assuming is where they lead to. Then up on the ceiling on either side is 2 smaller plates. And near the big one near the floor is a smaller one also. On the opposite side of the room on the side walls are 2 small plates also for the rears. Outside there is speaker wire hanging from the covered back patio ceiling. I will probably ask them to put plates up to cover those so they aren't just hanging there though. One month and I move out of living in an apartment for 6 years!

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I've also seen orange tubing like that used for fiber optic runs, especially if there is a high chance for it to be disturbed or operated near.

6. MikeAlletto

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The orange tube is called innerduct, and is installed to make it easier to pull cable and/or to protect the cable. If the innerduct is empty, it was installed for future pulls.

We use innerduct all the time when cabling for data/voice networks to protect fiber optic cabling, as well as to provide for easier cable installations. It can also be used inside of conduit to separate cabling bundles. If the installer is really smart, he will install innerduct with a pull string running the length of the tube -- this makes future pulls even easier.

8. Shawn Solar

I was thinking fiber too but it is very expensive. By the looks of it all the phones use the cat5e with the different pairs for different lines. ring and tip for line one will be b/bw, line 2 o/ow, line 3 gr/grw and line 4 br/brw. all four line will be hooked up to each plate throughout the house. So the rj45 jacks will probably be for the phone. quite a few ways to do it actually. I'm used to leviton products myself. the rj31 is for the alarm panel and probably takes line priority. which is if the alarm goes off it holds the line. was this house pre-built or custom built?

9. MikeAlletto

It was already built. I'm buying it from their inventory. I'll have to go back up there this week or next weekend and see if the orange tube comes out the side or down out by the street. The house next door has one coming out the side of it, but I didn't look at that side of mine yet. There are some 'pods' down by the street with cabling coming out of them also I'm assuming for cable and phone also (at least thats how my parents house was in FL).

Since the wiring is already in if I don't like the patch board they installed I guess I can buy my own and replace it. It also came with a 10mb router, but I've already got a 4 port 10/100mb linksys firewall router, although I'll have to buy another 100mb switch for it to accomidate all the jacks but thats no big deal. I still might end up installing a wireless access point to reach the areas where there aren't any jacks or for outside. Home networking...fun fun fun [​IMG]

10. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

It's definitely innerduct...used mainly as 'flexible' type conduit for easily adding additional cabling at a later time. It's is primarily used in the telecommunications industry for fiber-optic cabling.

TimK

11. Shawn Solar

Also check to see if there are wires coming out side for satellite. May be ran and spooled in the attic too. Its nice they ran the conduit. Contractors don't wany to run a 2inch conduit from the basement to the attic even though we bug and bug[​IMG]

Some are so arrogant as to move speaker wires where ever they please.

12. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Mike,

Your RJ45 jacks will take RJ11 plugs as well. You can route a phone connection to any RJ45 jack in the house. Or rather, when everything is installed in your panel, you should be able to.

Others are likely right about the orange conduit.

13. Kyle J

Kyle J Auditioning

Yeppers, that's definitely fiber plenum. We use it to protect the fiber backbone cabling at tech school.

14. Kyle J

Kyle J Auditioning

And the reasoning behind the only one RJ-11 jack is justifyable (sp?) because you can use them for anlog and digital. And they're betting that in the future, you'll just be using IP telephony, so you won't even need RJ-11.

15. MikeAlletto

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

17. MikeAlletto

There is RG-6 there. I was just going off what the direct tv guy told a friend of mine who built a house on the other side of town and has basically the same patchboard. The installer did just bypass the board.

18. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Satellite requires a switch designed to respond to signals from the sat box. I'm sure all you have is a video distribution amp. It will work fine to send the signal coming from a sat box all over the house but cannot function between the Dish and the sat boxes.

19. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

conduit? as in um Gary.... haha im so funny