What is this classical/choral piece?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brenton, May 7, 2003.

1. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I'm looking for a specific classical choral piece. I don't know what it's called or the name of the composer (I'm not familiar with classical music beyond those composers that everyone knows).

It's used semi-frequently in movies and TV for an "epic" sound (as a matter of fact, it was used on this week's SNL for "The Falconer" when Daniel the Falcon and that muskrat were competing for their territory [​IMG] ).

People who I've played it for have just shrugged and told me that it sounds like something out of LOTR or Star Wars.

If my description doesn't ring a bell, you can hear it at Star Wars prequel artist Doug Chiang's website. Download the "Robota" teaser trailer to hear it (it may be on the full trailer as well, I haven't downloaded it).

It might be Russian.

Thanks for any help.

2. Ron Biles

Ron Biles Extra

The name of the piece is Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. I remember it most from the film Excalibur, though it's been used in many others.

3. Stephen Best

Stephen Best Auditioning

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Carmina Burana is a collection of songs arranged in a suite-like structure. It is original German 18th century music, but designed to convey the spirit of folk culture, mysticism, and naturalism.

The first song in this large work is O Fortuna, the piece that is used a lot in popular media. This and the following song, Fortuna Plengo Vulnera, serve as an overture to the whole piece. The lyrics are about fortune and fate, I believe.

It's usually used to convey urgency or danger, but that's not what the song is about. [​IMG]

I wonder who used it first.

5. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Thank you so much, guys.

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

7. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

One DVD-audio version is available:

HERE

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

9. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Just a warning to the original poster, though. The fact that you like O Fortuna doesn't necessarily mean you'll like the rest of Carmina Burana, I sure didn't. I like lots of classsical and choral music, but aside from O Fortuna I just can't get into Carmina Burana. So before you go spending $15-20 you might want to find some samples from an online store and make sure it's something you'll really like. Otherwise you'll be paying for a disc that has about 2.5 minutes of music on it that you actually like.

10. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

"O Fortuna" is way cool. If you want to hear it plagiarized, James Horner rips it off quite nicely in the climactic battle scene in Glory.

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

12. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Ugh. I used to love "O Fortuna" until it became the most clich├ęd, hackneyed piece of music in history. For God's sake, when they use it in Jackass, you know it's played out. But hey, if you haven't heard it as much as I have and you really like it, I'm happy for you.

13. andrew markworthy

If you do like Carmina Burana, be approach the rest of Carl Orff's work with caution, which can at times be a little austere (and without the memorable tunes of Carmina Burana).