What's new

What is this Chinese character? (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Gregg, that article looks like it was written as a joke, not for a publication.

C'mon, now...:)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
The tattoo story may be something of an urban legend. Then again, seeing as clients are entrusting their canvases to predominantly non-Asian inkers, a misplaced stroke here or there could affect its interpretation; it's a caveat that comes with the territory. All sales final. :D

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
According to Rose-Innes, it is classified under Radical 162 "advance"; in Japanese it has On-yomi [Chinese-derived reading] KEN and kun-yomi [Japanese reading] ya(ru) or tsukawa(su) to give, send, or transmit, so it has much the same meaning and is used in the same type of compound words as Latin mittere. Compounds include [with character for "mouth"] a method; [with character "hand"] a man of ability, or great man [compare epithet "ring-giver" in BEOWULF]; [with character "thing, substance"] a present; [with character "wilfulness"] to leave work in disorder.

I know I see truly stupid Kanji mottoes all over hats, T-shirts, and so on; of course perhaps it is America's comeuppance for all those years of making fun of unintelligible English slogans on Asian-made goods?

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Thomas, whether or not it's real, I'm not too certain. However, I really wouldn't put it past people to say something so incredibly stupid in response. Also, here's the original page it was on.

http://www.soufoaklin.com/tattooartist.html

But like someone else suggested, it might just be an urban legend in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks