What is this called?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeremy Scott, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

What is it called when part of your screen is bent. What i mean is on the home shopping network channel, or any with a display on the left side, the top corner of the display on that channel bends in a certain direction....hard to explain....

is there any way to fix this?

2. John S

John S Producer

This sort of thing is usually only able to be tweeked in the service menu. Might be worth a professional calibration session.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What kind of display is it?

It sounds like a geometry problem.

4. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

JVC HDTV 36"

I had a new tube installed today to cure my purity problem and it is just about perfect, the stretch problem doesnt bother me much, i may just leave it.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

If the picture bends with no separation of the three colors it would be called a pincushion problem. If the colors diverge from each other then it would be called a convergence problem. If the bending changes with the type of video being shown then it might be called flagging (a completely different kind of problem - actually an electronic fault).

While some adjustments interact you would have trouble correcting pincushion with convergence controls although it might actually work to some extent.

It is possible that the yoke is not positioned perfectly or tilted slightly (wedges get placed under the yoke corners during setup for outer edge alignment on many sets). You wouldn't want to do electrical alignment (service menu) for a mechanical misadjustment (yoke tilt). The outer 2-3 inches are very difficult to get perfect on large tubes. Robots and computers do it during manufacturing.

Some sets also have known geometry issues (certain Sony sets for instance) and no amount of adjusting would fix it. If purity and convergence were good and the errors were in the outer 2 inches I wouldn't fiddle with it if it was my own set and I could get paid to do it. But I didn't pay what you paid for the TV and I don't know what your tolerence for imperfection is. It's your judgement call since the error is related to the tube replacement adjustments.