What is this? Barebone Rental-Only Discs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Will K, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Yesterday, I experienced something I've never seen before. I received a copy of Mystic River from Netflix. The disc surface reads "For Rental Only. Not for Resale." Futhermore, the commentary I thought was on all of the retail versions is completely MIA on this disc.

What's up with this? Is this something new?

2. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

The only other instance I have seen of this was with the Netflix-only version of Croupier, which came out years before the retail DVD.

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'm not sure about the custom printing on the disc face, but the single disc version of "Mystic River" does not include the commentary track.

4. Joseph Grieco

Joseph Grieco Auditioning

I've seen this just recently with The West Wing Season 2. They are DVD-9s. The first season were DVD-18s. I was wondering if the retail version of Season 2 were DVD-18s. Season 1 was great, because you could rent the whole season in three rentals, now it'll take 6 or 7 rentals. Not a big thing, but curious all the same.

5. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

The recent Gus Van Sant film, Elephant, is also available via Netflix as a one-sided disc with the extras MIA (the menu says extras on other side of disc - duh!)

Cheers,

6. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

i have been getting a lot of dvd's from Netflix recently with this "For Rental Only. Not for Resale." marking.

all the latest new releases I got from them were marked this way

7. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Most of the discs Netflix sends out are on a revenue-sharing basis with the studios. The studios own the actual discs, but Netflix shares the rental revenue earned with the them. Labeling the discs help prevent them from winding up in the wrong hands (i.e. other retailers, pawn shops, etc.) if stolen.

Some studios require that the discs are returned or destroyed as the rental demand declines, while others allow the discs to be sold used with the revenue also shared. However, most studios frown on the sale of previously-viewed movies, as it cuts into the sales of their new product. That's partly why they drop the retail price of most new product so quickly--so they can compete with the same used product that most rental stores are starting to sell off as rental demand declines.

The studios also supply Netflix with specially-pressed one-sided discs for rental. The two-sided discs are more prone to damage. Another reason is likely that two-sided discs offer "too much" value-- they'd make more money renting you a TV season set as single-sided instead of two-sided discs.

8. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale

I just finished watching disc 1 of season 2 of The West Wing and was very confused by the menu telling me that episodes 5-8 were on the other side of the disc...when it was a single sided disc! Obviously, the first three double-sided discs of the release have been turned into six single sided discs for NetFlix. I guess it's not that big a deal, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

9. James Lambert

James Lambert Stunt Coordinator

The Retail copy of West Wing Season 2 are DVD 18s. In the UK almost all Rental Discs have "Rental Copy" or something similar scrawled all over them. They also often only have disc 1 of multi disc releases

10. Chris*W

Chris*W Stunt Coordinator

My rental copy of "Around the World in 80 Days" from Netflix was like this (without the disc cover art-just a plain grey disc with the title on it), but it had all of the same special features that the DVD's in the store have.

11. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I rented Mystic River from BlockBuster (Canada) last night. There are no extras on the disc even though the box says there is a commentary, plus interviews and featurettes.

12. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I rented Mystic River from BlockBuster (Canada) last night. There are no extras on the disc even though the box says there is a commentary, plus interviews and featurettes.

13. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Qustion:
    Assuming that the studio's plan to only provide bare bone dvd's from now on for rental stores (i.e. blockbuster) by thinking that it can raise their sales of full featured dvd's by consumers, how would you all react?
    This would mean that to view deleted scenes and other such extras you'd have to purchase the title or borrow it from a friend.

14. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Qustion:
    Assuming that the studio's plan to only provide bare bone dvd's from now on for rental stores (i.e. blockbuster) by thinking that it can raise their sales of full featured dvd's by consumers, how would you all react?
    This would mean that to view deleted scenes and other such extras you'd have to purchase the title or borrow it from a friend.

15. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I'd still only rent. Personally, I've become bored with extras - with the odd exceptions. Usually, the featurettes were made-for-TV promos where everyone tells you how great the movie is so you'll go see it. But I've already rented it! As for deleted scenes - most of the time it's obvious why they were deleted. I pretty much skip extras now unless it looks particularly interesting. I don't need to have explained what I just watched.

16. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I'd still only rent. Personally, I've become bored with extras - with the odd exceptions. Usually, the featurettes were made-for-TV promos where everyone tells you how great the movie is so you'll go see it. But I've already rented it! As for deleted scenes - most of the time it's obvious why they were deleted. I pretty much skip extras now unless it looks particularly interesting. I don't need to have explained what I just watched.

17. Brian McHale

Brian McHale
    I've been renting from Netflix for almost four years. I don't have a problem with barebones rental only discs, since I'm mainly interested in the movies.

I do have a bit of a problem with what they're doing with The West Wing Season 2. Not only did they make it so that I have to rent six discs instead of three to watch the whole season, but they didn't do anything to help you understand why the menu says there are episodes on the other side of a single-sided disc. I thought maybe there was some kind of manufacturing error.

Now I know that double-sided discs are simply single-sided discs glued together. This would obviously make it very easy to release the sides as separate discs, so I understand why they did it like this. However, this is still going to confuse a lot of people when the disc says there's more stuff on the other side WHEN THERE IS NO OTHER SIDE.

18. Brian McHale

Brian McHale
    I've been renting from Netflix for almost four years. I don't have a problem with barebones rental only discs, since I'm mainly interested in the movies.

I do have a bit of a problem with what they're doing with The West Wing Season 2. Not only did they make it so that I have to rent six discs instead of three to watch the whole season, but they didn't do anything to help you understand why the menu says there are episodes on the other side of a single-sided disc. I thought maybe there was some kind of manufacturing error.

Now I know that double-sided discs are simply single-sided discs glued together. This would obviously make it very easy to release the sides as separate discs, so I understand why they did it like this. However, this is still going to confuse a lot of people when the disc says there's more stuff on the other side WHEN THERE IS NO OTHER SIDE.

19. Brian

Brian Stunt Coordinator

I think I may have gotten one of these from DVDBarn for "Gangs of New York." It was a single sided disc with only a few special features. It also had the entire movie crammed on it, so the picture quality was pretty horrible. I tried to find some info after watching it to see if anyone else noticed the lousy quality, but all the reviews talked about a two disc set.

-B

20. Brian

Brian Stunt Coordinator

I think I may have gotten one of these from DVDBarn for "Gangs of New York." It was a single sided disc with only a few special features. It also had the entire movie crammed on it, so the picture quality was pretty horrible. I tried to find some info after watching it to see if anyone else noticed the lousy quality, but all the reviews talked about a two disc set.

-B