What is the your protocol for optimizing your DVD collection?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Hackman, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Dave Hackman

Dave Hackman Stunt Coordinator

Jan 11, 2000
    I am the type of person who has to rid my collection of any movie once viewed that I don’t care for. I don’t want it on my shelf and will sell it for any amount of money just to get rid of it. Most movies that I buy I have seen but there are a few that I get on sale that are my first viewing. I want my collection to represent the films that I enjoy and if I should drop dead it will. Here are my steps for removal of movies in my current collection.

1.Print a report from DVD profiler with all titles I own
    2.Highlight movies that upon reflection look suspect or are receiving upgrades
    3.Place highlighted dvd’s into a segregated area on my shelf labeled pending
    4.Re watch pending movie or movies to determine whether I still enjoy
    5.If I still enjoy and no upgrade available put back on main shelf
    6.If I don’t like see step 8.
    7.If an upgrade, wait for favorable reviews on enhancements and if positive see step 8 if not put back onto main shelf.
    8.Sell DVD’s to local buy back stores

First time viewing

1.Watch movie all the way through if bearable
    2.Determine if I like it and if it has repeat viewing potential.
    3.If acceptable then store on shelf if purchased or put on my to buy list.
    4.If mixed feelings I will give it a second viewing and decide whether to keep, plan to buy, return or sell.
    5.If unbearable sell immediately or return rental without second viewing.

Of course I could implement random viewings of my current collection and for those movies I am unable to decide on I could get a more qualified opinion possible from IMDB or Amazon. [​IMG]

The more good movies I see affect my acceptable criteria and therefore effect my collection. If I ever have time to go through my collection of about 375 I wonder how many I will want to sell.
  2. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Mar 2, 2003
    I build my collection through Netflix or loaners
    from guys at the shop. I very seldom blind-buy, so
    I don't have to worry about wasting my money on
    titles that I don't want to watch again. When I
    watch a film that I haven't seen before, I'll make
    up my mind immediately if I want it in my collection.
    If I really like the film, or if I thought the film was decent and has some kick ass extras with it, then I'll
    get it. If a DVD in my collection is getting re-released
    with improvements (16x9 video, commentary tracks, etc.),
    then I upgrade. My collection is always a work in progress.
  3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Mar 14, 2001
    2. Decide if it has rewatchability.
    3. If yes, buy it if available. Keep in in collection forever.
    4. If yes, but not available, add it to my to buy list and buy it as soon as it does come out and keep in my collection forever.
    4. If no, don't buy it. Never have in collection in first place.

4. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Nov 5, 2003
    I feel the same way. I don't want films in my collection that I'll never watch again. I either trade or sell them.

1. Watch film.
    2. Decide if it is re-watchable.
    3. If yes, return it to shelf (if owned already), or buy it if not already owned.
    4. If not, unload for something else worth keeping.
  5. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Jul 11, 2003
    Michael Elliott
    If I buy something 99% of the time I'm going to keep it. Most of the films I buy I already know I like but I also do a lot of blind buys if the price is right. I've bought some bad movies for $5 but at that price I really can't trade them off so they just sit on the shelf. Plus, I love bad horror films and I never know when I might get in the mood to watch one.

Out of 1300 movies on DVD, I'd say there are around ten that I'll never watch again but it's a lot more trouble trying to trade them, sell them, wrap them and get to the post office so they just stay with me.
  6. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

Dec 18, 2002
    not much to it, really. I save myself the trouble of "weeding out" titles...by not buying titles I wont want to keep. I'm closing in on almost 1,700 titles and for the most part, each title is there for a reason. being a library and not a collection, each title there serves a purpose. enjoyment, historical meaning or research....a true reference library for all the films that are essential to me. sure, I have maybe 5 or 6 titles that I'm not totally proud of....but I'm not a total jerk-off. thats right, I let my wife slip a few titles into our library as well.[​IMG]

nope...I keep what I buy. I research titles I buy. just because I may have not seen a film....it does not mean that I have to go into it "blind". also...being a completist helps. I dont have to feel bad about owning Conquest from Fulci.[​IMG]
  7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Jun 15, 2001
    Out of the 1118 titles in my DVD library there is only one that I'm sorry I purchased. Perhaps some persons don't have enough room to store titles. In that case perhaps they should limit their purchases in the 1st place instead of buying titles that have no potential for many, many viewings. But that's just me, I'll find a place for my DVDs even if the library has 10,000 titles. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  8. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

Jun 16, 2001
    I keep everything I buy. Thankfully, I've rarely ever been dissapointed with the DVDs I've personally purchased. I do own stuff like Jingle All The Way and Jackie Chan's Who Am I? that I don't really care for, but those were gifts and I hate parting with them.
  9. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

Jul 22, 2004
    My biggest criterion is, will I watch it again?

I've fallen itno this trip with classics. Yes, "Bridge on the River Quai" is a fantastic film. And the documentary was excellent. I borrowed my father's copy and immediately ran out to buy my own. Two years later, it's still shrinkwrapped.

However, there was a six month phase where I watched "Army of Darkness" once a week. Money well spent.

The last mistake I made was the Spider-Man '67 Collection. I bought it for camp value and somewhere around disc 4 the screaming started.