What is the weak link in my setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Boka, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Boka

Boka Stunt Coordinator

Current setup is:
    JBL S-310's (main)
    JBL S-Center II
    JBL S-36 II's (surround)
    Pioneer VSX-D508 100W x 5 receiver

What do you think the weakest link is ?
    Best upgrade for $300 or so ?
    I'm already looking at adding a sub so leave that out.

Thanks

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

By far the receiver. But you'd have to spend more than $300 to make a large improvement. Although the Pioneer 810 can be had around $300 now a days I believe and it would be a reasonable step up. There are also a few Denon, Onkyo, Harman Kardon and Yamaha receivers in the price range you could consider that would be a step up.

3. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

You could get a nice two channel amp to drive your main speakers, and leave the receiver some headroom to drive the rest.

You can still keep the amp and use it on other receivers, or pre/pros long after that Pioneer is gone.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I agree with Geoff that a nice two channel amp would be a nice improvement, assuming you have preouts on your receiver. For instance, on Ubid.com today, an Audio Source 80 watts/channel amp is at $109. I, however, don't have any personal experience with Audio Source, but believe I've heard some positive comments on HTF.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 811S can be had for as low as $280 + shipping on yahoo shopping. the 711 can be had for even less. either would be a step up, and the 811S would give the equipment to move on up to 6.1 or 7.1 when you want to.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Oops, I meant 811. The 508 does not have preouts for anything but the sub. So a seperate amp isn't an option.

7. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Then since a separate amp isn't possible with that old Pioneer, then by far I agree the weakest link is that, and you should upgrade it before anything else.

If you can save up a little more than $300 (say $400-$600) a toally decent 6.1 receiver can be had.

8. Boka

Boka Stunt Coordinator

thanks for all the ideas.

Assuming I had 400 or 500 tops (funny how it always goes up) to blow, what receiver would be my best bet. I'm interested in quality more than loudness, 95% of the time it would be used for movies, don't care too much about video switching, etc...

Thanks