What is the value of Preamp Outputs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Silverstein, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Ken Silverstein

Ken Silverstein Auditioning

Can someone explain to me the value of preamp outputs? What makes them such an important feature of a receiver?

As I understand it, these outputs are used when you want to use another amplifier. When would you use another amplifier?

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. I'm trying to make a final decision in my receiver purchase. Right now I'm considering the Yamaha HTR-5490. I reading this Forum, many people think that this unit not having any any preamp outputs is a real draw back.

Can someone explain??

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

3. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

say your receiver is rated at 55watts x5 and during calibration/watching movies you cant seem to get the spl you are looking for. you could get external amps with a higher wattage to bring your spl levels up to where you prefer. also when a receiver is using electricity for its decoding, fancy lights and all that, it draws power away from the amps. if you have external amps, then your amps get the electricity required to output at the specified levels.

4. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Basically it comes down to your ability to upgrade later on. Lets say you buy a receiver with preouts to begin with. Now a year or two later you decide you want to upgrade your system and the next logical step would be seperate amp and pre/pro. Well if you only have say $1500 for your upgrade you could get a pretty good 5 channel amp first and use your current receiver as your pre-amp. Then when you save up the money in another year or two you go back and buy a new pre/pro and get rid of the receiver. But lets say you didn't have preouts on your initial receiver, then when you go to upgrade with that first $1500 you will be extremely limited in that you will have to buy both amplification and a pre/pro with that money at the same time since your receiver will be useless at this point. Here you will be extremely limited under this budget to find real good seperates.

At least this has been the way I've gone about it in my system.

Good Luck,
    Brandon

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you're not going to upgrade (not everyone has to [​IMG] ) and you don't listen terribly loud, and your speakers are reasonable efficient, then you might not need to worry about preamp outputs on a prespective receiver.
    I set up my friends system w/ about $1200 worth of Ascend Acoustics speakers, and they're run off an Onkyo 595 (no preouts). But, the system rocks, can go super loud, and he has no reason to think of upgrading. (as an example)

6. Ken Silverstein

Ken Silverstein Auditioning

I understand now. Thanks for all your help!!

7. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

Ken,

Another advantage, regardless of using the built in amp or an external amp is that you can insert an equalizer or high pass filters between the preamp and amp. Let's say that you don't care much for the receiver's built in bass management. You can insert for instance, an ICBM or even just inline high pass filters to achieve exactly what you want. One disadvantage is that you can't turn it off like you can with the built in digital domain filter (maybe you can with the ICBM????).

Greg

8. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

Just to let you know, Ken, I spotted the 5590 at Best Buy yesterday but they had no info on it yet. It's still sitting in a box without being displayed. Perhaps you should wait and see what it offers. As of yet though, even Yamaha's own website offers no info on it.

Scott

9. Dan Harding

Dan Harding Auditioning

I too didn't really "get" the purpose/advantage of preamp outs. I'm running a Denon AVR-3200 Receiver. I wanted to add some "oomph" to my 2-channel listening (read: wanted better soundstage, deeper bass, a more robust sound). A number of people suggested getting an outboard 2-channel amplifier with some beefy power to run the front mains.

I kinda hemmed and hawed, and then lucked into a pair of Carver Silver 7T monoblocks (575 watts @ 8 ohms, 900 watts @ 4 ohms) for cheap. I can honestly say that it is the single greatest upgrade I have ever made to my system. 2-channel audio sounds an order of magnitude better than it did before. Plus, in home theater material, since the receiver is no longer driving the mains, that load is freed up for the center and the rears.

It really is like night and day...

-Dan