What is the typical discount from SRP for american fullsized crew-cab trucks 4X4

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I've always heard that american full-sized trucks (Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150, and Dodge Rams) get much steeper discounts then foriegn cars. For example we were only able to get 10-12% off my fiance's Honda Accord. The reason I ask is that a pretty base-level Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado with quad cab and 4 wheel drive, run about $31K - $33K. This is about $10K above my budget. Like I said, I have always heard that american trucks are discounted much more heavily then other cars, especially foriegn, but never having bought an american truck... I dont think I can squeeze into a S-10 or Dakota, and Ford doesnt even offer a 4-door ranger. Just wondered what your experiences are?

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Do a search for "Edmunds.Com" or "Kelley" for previous threads from about a week ago.

Unfortunately dealer cost doesn't have much to do with selling price since everything's negotiable, and trucks are hot right now. I don't anticipate any dealer coming down 30% off MSRP on any vehicle. 5% maybe, but not 30%.

If you get that discount, let us know how you did it !

3. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    I guess I mispoke a little. I need to get to about 20K after any rebate and about $2000 trade. So 2000 trade + $2500 rebate (I think ford has this right now on a lot of vehicles.) = 4500 so I would need to get to about $25,000. Hmmmm, I wonder how much rear seat room the dakota has.

4. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Anybody care to wager how long it will be before the first anti-big truck and/or SUV posting? [​IMG]

5. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Charles,

I'm the proud owner of a new Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (picked it up on Friday).

Besides being one of the best looking trucks I've ever owned, the Dakota is definitely larger inside than others in its class. The rear seat room is decent, I definitely wouldn't call it roomy, but it is adequate. Most reviews that I read, and my experience so far, indicate that the Dakota is bigger than it's competition, but not as big as the full-size class.

I got a really good price, as my company participates in a special program with Chrysler. However, I did do some negotiating before I found out we had this program. Based on a number of conversations with various dealers, I was anticipating paying around $500 over invoice. My local "no-hassle" dealer's price was $1,000 over invoice.

Dodge is offering $2k cash back, plus an extended 7-yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty through April 1st. Depending on the options you end up with, you could probably end up paying around $25-26k.

Edited to add: Also, new car loan rates are ridiculously low right now. I've used peoplefirst.com a couple of times, and they're at 5.99%. I went in to the dealer with my draft, and the dealer ended up finding better financing at 5.45%. I don't know how your going to finance, but that might help you pay a slightly higher price.

Hope this helps.

6. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    We have a place just south of KC that does $50 over factory invoice for any Ford vehicle.

They have a "processing fee" of $100 or so.

In addition, you get to keep all rebates.

For invoice pricing go to edmunds.com.

Mike

7. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yeah, I am going to be buying in september. Maybe I can wait a bit until they are more anxious to get rid of the 2002 model years, or even see if they have any 2001 carry overs (but I doubt it)

8. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Charles i purchased my truck for a little over $28k, but there are less expensive ones.
    Mine came with everything you can think of minus On-Star or leather, which i didnt want.
    Of course i looked around for over a month, but it was worth the wait.
    [​IMG]
    PS-Do your homework, i was really upset that Dodge couldnt make a stronger engine in their new trucks [​IMG]

9. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, I currently have no real brand loalty for american trucks since I've never owned one. My dad has a 91 chevy full ton with a 454 and its totally falling apart, but its an abused farm truck with a lot of miles, so thats not much good for comparison. I keep reading that the interior quality of chevys is not that great in comparison to ford. Since you have a chevy, would you care to comment? I think my biggest problem is, I look in the extended cab models and it just doesnt seem like rear seat room is enough, so that is why I am thinking about a full crew cab. I stopped by the Ford dealership tonight, and they really didnt have anything under $32K at all. I think maybe my expectations are a bit to high for my budget [​IMG]

10. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

My 1998 Chevrolet Silverado 5.7 liter Z-71 had a sticker of $28,000 and I paid $22,000 not included tax, licence, and fees. Discounts can be had if you know how to haggle.

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Charles,
    Its all a matter of what style you like, but ill tell you this.
    Im not really brand loyal either, well at least i wasnt when i purchased my truck.
    I looked at many things including interior room, engine, ergonomics, etc.
    I did not like the interiors of the Ford or Dodge at all!
    My truck has got to have the best seats of all the trucks i test drove. The bucket seats really hug you and hold you in place. They are powered and have a lumber adjustment.
    The controls and dash are sweet too. The center console is nice and deep. Cup holders, 3 cigarette lighter power slots, CD storage, storage up above your head also for a wallet, sunglasses, and garage door opener.
    At the time, the extended cab had the most leg room out of all three manufacturers.
    Auto doorlocks at 20mph.
    Anything in particular youd like to know?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Keep looking at the newspaper on Car add day (we have it twice a week in Cincinnati) when all the dealers put adds in the paper, 2 weeks ago I saw a standard cab dodge with AC and auto for 14,900 and a quad cab dodge with tilt cruise PW PL auto AC for 18,900 both new 2002's

you have to look at every ad for every make because those loss leaders change brands every week and they do not last long so look as early in the morning as you can

13. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Eric, that's essentially what I was talking about in my original post. I always see dealers ads on TV (especially dodge) when they are having truck sales and it seems like they are $6-$8K under MSRP on new trucks. But, up until now, I havent really paid attention to what they specifically where. I still have some concerns about quality and reliability of american vehicles which has been reenforced by the reviews (even the professional ones) that I have been reading online.

14. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Charles JP-- Don't let the looks of the back seat fool you on the new Silverado's. I have one just like the one Henry has. Looks are very deceiving. Most people kind of give me that one raised eyebrow look when I offer to drive and they have to ride in the back seat. Once they get it and sit down they realize how much room and how comfortable it is back there. The back seat is pretty high and your legs hang straight down so you don't need a whole lot of leg room to be comfortable. The back seat has 4 cupholders as well as heat and a/c vents for comfort. With the 3rd or 4th swing out door it is very easy to get in and out of. Bottom line, go look at some different models and hop in the back seat and see how it feels. Don't go by looks.