What is the true story behind the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Sep 25, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I saw the trailer for the new film and it said it was based on a true story. Can anyone tell me what that story was?

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

It's loosely based on the story of Ed Gein, I believe.

3. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

Yeah, Psycho and Texas Chainsaw both borrow loosely from the life of Ed Gein but I believe Texas may have also borrowed from the stories of other serial killers.

4. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

5. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

This is a pet peeve of mine:

Regardless of what the advertising for the original or the remake claim, these movies can only claim to be "suggested" by the Ed Gein case. Or at best "loosely inspired by". All this "based on" crap is nothing but grindhouse hype -- amusing in it's day (say mid to late 70s) but getting real damn annoying this far after the fact.

This may seem like a silly thing to be annoyed by, but you'd be amazed at the sheer numbers of otherwise fairly intelligent people I know who still believe that THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE really happened. I still run into morons (native Texans for chissakes!) who claim that they used to live (everybody now) in a town right down the road from where it really happened!!!! [​IMG] Ugh....... [​IMG]

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

And the Ed Gein deal happened in Wisconsin anyway [​IMG]

Tobe Hooper grew up in Texas, IIRC, and that is why the flick is set in Texas. For me it's no different than the "Based on a true story..." at the beginning of Fargo...marketing, and nothing else. No big deal though, if people are dumb enough to believe everything they see in movies, then more (or less in this case) power to them.

7. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

8. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

If you want to know the scoop on Ed Gein from a profiling point of view, read John Douglas's books.

Silence of the Lambs and Psycho were based on the same true story. Those ones actually came closer to the truth.

10. Dave Carstens

Dave Carstens Auditioning

Riiiiight... guess what-
    The beginning of 'Fargo' notes that it, too is a true story! Apparently there is an urban legend of a Japanese woman who flew to America and went out to look for the buried loot and died. It was later ruled a suicide.
    Imagine that: an urban legend based on an urban legend. [​IMG]

11. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

12. Stephen_Dar

Stephen_Dar Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, Ed Gein, I kid my buddy who's from Wisconsin about old Ed. Apparently they called him "The Wisconsin Goul" back in those parts. I joke that there's something deeply wrong with the water or air on the western shore of Lake Michigan. All those Midwesterners think that people in CA are crazy, but in that same region they had Ed Gein, Jeff Dhamer, and John Wayne Gacy, 3 individuals so far outside the "normal" range that there's nothing we've ever had out here to compare, I'd say [​IMG]

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Stunt Coordinator

If you really want to learn about the case of Ed Gein, I suggest you read the excellent book, DEVIANT: THE SHOCKING TRUE STORY OF ED GEIN, THE ORIGINAL PSYCHO. Wonderful read that details all of the crimes of Ed Gein and also includes more on his background.

14. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Information about the Japanese woman who died from the Urban Legends Reference Page.

The thing with Fargo was just a joke the Coens put at the start of the movie. It's not like they used it as a promotional tool.

And as has been said, to call this "based on a true story" is nonsense. It's a remake of a film that was inspired by true events. Everything else is just marketing.