What's new

What is the tradeoff in using monopoles for side/rear surrounds in an HT 7.1 Setup? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
They could be too localizable.

If you do get them, it is typically recommended to put them 2-3 ft above ear level. And/or, do not face them directly at the listeners. (Bounce the sound off the wall or ceiling 1st.)

I had direct radiators for surrounds and rears at 12-15" above ear level. The rears were OK, but the surrounds, at even 7 ft away were waaaay too localizable. I went to Mirage Omnipolars, and now they disappear into the room.

But also, my problem with putting direct radiators 2 to 3 ft above ear level, is that now you're relying on off-axis sound, and if you've ever seen off-axis freq response plots the highs are always rolled off and there is always roughness to the plot in the midrange.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Yep, I agree with Kevin. That's why I went with regular "surround" speakers with my new set. Quadrapoles from Axiom. (QS8s). They give a very diffuse sound field. Perfect for surround. Maybe not so perfect with SACD/DVD-A, but I'll cross that bridge when I come it. :)

glenn.arsenault

Stunt Coordinator
Let me describe my room to see if that affects things. My room is 23' x 23 ' with a 6' x 9' alcove centered on the left side of the room. There is a open stairway in the rear left hand corner of the room, leading down a level.
(room is built over a garage)

The ceilings slope from 8' to about 12' with a number of angles. Average ceiling height is probably 10'.

My RPTV is against the front wall. L&R speakers would be stand mounted monitors set about 2' out from the front wall and 9' apart. The main sitting area is about 14 - 15' from the front wall. Side surrounds will be wall mounted at about 6 - 6 1/2 feet up on the wall - almost directly to the left and right of the sitting area. The side walls and side-surrounds are at least 8' from the closest seat. The rear surrounds will be mounted about 9 - 10' up on the wall. The rear wall is at least 8' from rear wall.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks