What's new

what is the smallest sub possible that can go under 25 hz? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
no, i want to know the best sub money can buy that is also small. actually i am interested with boston pv1000. 10 inches driver that can go down to 22 hz. cool! but i think i should ask you guys first.

thanks

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so there are no budget limitations. Lucky man. :)
The SPL question still needs to be answered, though, as I can design a tiny box with an 8" woofer that will "do" 25Hz. It won't be all that loud, though, to put it nicely, which is the case with that Boston, I suspect.
Anyway, you're probably looking at one of the Velodyne models is size is the chief requirement. Is it the "footprint" that's a limitation, or the height, also?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Felix, I only laugh at myself, so I never run out of amusing material. :)
Spl is sound pressure level. How loud to you want it to go?
For example, if you have a DD home theater system, do you calibrate it to reference levels?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
no, i am just a beginner with a very modest ht. only paradigm cinemas plus pdr10 and denon 1802 receiver.

i just want to learn more. how loud should it go?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's up to you. There's a certain capability the sub should have depending on how loud you listen. For full reference levels in DD, the sub needs to be able to get to 115-120 db, which is well beyond any "small" sub I can think of.

Vin's suggestion is excellent, and not too big.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Felix,
From what little I know, your question will need a lot of qualifiers in order to get the best answer.
For starters, room size (LxWxH), desired listening level, etc. Apparently, a lot of subs can say they go under 25Hz, but if they do that with no volume, what good is it?
If $$ is no object, check out Link Removed and take your pick.
By small, do you mean footprint? If so, the SVS qualifies. But it is a large cylinder sub. So it definitely has a "presence." ;)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Any restrictions at all?
Money?
Wife?
Mother in law?
Size?
SV subs are known for deep bass on the cheap, without looking cheap.
Let us know the budget, when you will buy, room size and all that groovy stuff....
-CM
:emoji_thumbsup:

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
ok. next year gonna buy a house.

living room 5 meter times 6 meter.

i dont like the looks of the svs. it is like hotdog on a stick. too distracting. wife wont object even though i buy the 18 inch sub from velodyne, but i hate anything that looks big.

ok, i want frequency under 25 hz to be audible as my dog barking on my face. but i also want it as small as possible, and if that costs me 2000 bucks i will go for it.

floor : carpet.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Small? You want small?
http://www.sunfire.com/products/submark2.shtml
How's that for small? Sure, it's $1,500 (can be found for $1300 or less), but at 11" cubed it's the smallest sub on the block. Sounds good too, down to 20Hz.
Edit:
hahaha, Neil beat me to it... still, this is the answer if size is your main concern.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
felix,

Can you hear 25Hz? I can't. My hearing drops out

at 37Hz.

It sound like you are asking for 25Hz at 75db, 12ft

from the front wall. Is that right? If so, thats 4 PB12's

lined up on the front wall. Are you sure the structure

will stand up? I think that anything meeting your 25Hz

spec would be quite uncomfortable at 70Hz. Therefore, a

low-freq graphic equalizer would necessary.

JRS

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
not sure whether i could hear 25 hz though. but human ears were said to be able to hear 20 to 20000 hz. so what is the purpose of creating 25 hz sub if you guys cant hear it? at least you can feel it, right?

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
No, we can't feel it either. However, we think we can, and

our sound pressure level meters tell us its there.

Just get something, and put it in the corner.

JRS

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i was given this link by a forum member on another thread :
Link Removed
take a look how they praised svs sub for successfully reproducing sound as low as 20 hz. are they doing something useless?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks