What is the smallest SonoSub someone has built?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John LaB, Oct 17, 2001.

1. John LaB

John LaB Agent

I'm new to the DIY scene, and I'm trying to absorb the tons of info thats here. Search turns up some great stuff.
    I would like to replace my Velodyne 1012X with a sonosub, and match it to my B&W 602, LCR 6 front end.
    However, I dont want the sub to be that imposing. I'm thinking a Shiva in 18", 20" max diameter, but under 30".
    Has anyone built a small ported tube? Are there some specs that I can leverage?
    My room is 15 x 15 x 22 or so. Is it even worth it to build a small enclosure?
    Thanks in advance. Still figuring out LspCad.
    -jpl

2. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

This one is pretty small. 2cu-ft with a 10" driver in a 12" Tube. One of the smaller tubes I've seen. I would suggest going bigger if you can... especially with your room size. It takes a lot more power to pump out the SPL's with this little sucker. There are some kick-ass 10" drivers out there (check out Partsexpress and AudioC for a couple of high Xmax 10 inchers).
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I've said it before and heck, I'll say it again, that is one unique looking sub. How is the sound.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

4. Paul_H

Paul_H Extra

When you think about it how much will you actually miss that corner space in exchange for deep bass? Hoffman's Iron law dictates there is a tradeoff between box size, efficiency, and low frequency extension. You can make a small box but then you will have to get a massive amp to get the same levels of sound from a large box. That means you will need a driver able to handle that amount of power. You have the choice of using a very high excursion 10" like Audiomoblie Mass or a high power handling Tempest in high q box with equalization. Warning: Once building subs they only have a tendency to get bigger and more extreme as you improve you setup.
    ------------------
    Paul Hagan
    [email protected]

5. John LaB

John LaB Agent

I'm not so much concerned with losing the corner, as how it will look. I would love to build a big-dog, but the room is a living room / viewing room, so I have to keep it within limits.
    How small of an enclosure can I go with using a Tempest, and still have output to 20hz or so?
    Jack-
    I grew up in Glen Ridge, right down the hill from you. Have you found a good spot around there to pick up some supplies, namely sonotube, from?
    Thanks again guys. I feel like I do some 'homework' every night, using the search and learning mucho.
    -jpl
    One more question...
    I have hard wood floors, should I not even be looking into a downfiring sub? My current sub is front firing 10, down firing 12" pr.
    [Edited last by John LaB on October 18, 2001 at 07:13 PM]

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

You can probably go with ~6 ft.^3 with a Tempest with excellent results, I think a few guys have done that. I recall DanW from Adire posting a "Low-Q" design for the Tempest a while ago in 185 liters tuned to 13Hz or so, looked very good with some room gain.
    Downfiring is fine, just give clearance to the driver.
    The only place in my area I found Sonotube is H.A. Harris, 160 Fairfield Rd., Fairfield. (973) 227-1600
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

This first sonosub I built was a 107 liter shiva model that used a single flared 4" port. I actaully was pretty impressed with its performance but it doesn't hold a candle to my new beast [​IMG] If you can swing a tempest I'd start with that and see how large a box you can go with. Going sealed and stuffing it will allow for a smaller box but you'll trade off some deep bass...though it will still slam providing you feed it adequate power (like Adrie's plate amp)
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

You can put a driver in any size enclosure you want.... but the quality of sound is dependant on the enclosure size. (you don't want to wind up with a 1 note "thumper")
    Check out http:\www.linearteam.dk
    Here you will find ISD Online (interactive speaker designer) under "Programs".
    Select "New Driver" and you're in.
    All you need to do is plug in the driver's specs (Qts, Vas in liters or cuft - the result will be in the same units, and Fs) and click "optimal". This will show you the optimal box size for those parameters.
    You can adjust the box size to what ever you like and graph it again.
    You want to keep your response as flat as possible. A wide shallow peak of 1db or more can make your sub sound "boomy".

9. John LaB

John LaB Agent

I can swing a tempest, and I think thats what I am going to go with.
    I really like Andrew's design, with the baseplate built in. Kind of like the SVS style.
    I'm going to break out the tape measure and try and get a feel of what a 250L enclosure is going to look like in my room.
    Thanks for the help already. I guess I'm still deciding exactly what I want. I've never really heard bass @20hz, so I think I could live without it. But, I would like to do it once and do it right.
    I like the idea of a sealed enclosure, in a low Q box, for some nice tight bass. My current sub is kind of boomy. If I could design a sealed enclosure, with extension close to 20hz, that would be great.
    Size is becoming less of an issue, as long as the girlfriend can put 'plants' on top of it. She can put them there, how long they'll stay is another story...
    -jpl

10. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

"But, I would like to do it once and do it right."
    i suppose its up to me to mention in a room that big, the only way to get big deep bass--- and still keep the looks of the room togther, is with an IB sub. she wont get a new plant stand, but thats what your mains are for, right?
    got any attic space above the room? or maby a basement below it?
    im thinking four tempests w/1kw amp (to leave a little headroom for EQ'ing)
    ought to do it. [​IMG] and it'l be way easier to build.
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]

11. John LaB

John LaB Agent

12. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

as far as whole house vibration is concerned, i feel it is minimal. minimal at least with my little IB, once i got the things that resonated secured, that is. whole house vibration is a factor with ANY powerful sub. a tempest in a tube or box with a proper amp will shake the house also.
    point is: dont shrug off an IB just because of the vibration issue. in my book, if its at all posible, its performance is worth looking into. before i installed my IB, i was dead set on a single shiva in a 16x44 tube. i even had the tube. then i saw the light.
    OTOH, ive heard Brian S's silos, and they sound really nice:
    http://home.tampabay.rr.com/bpsdesigns
    tube subs are a proven designs, and brians are great examples of the breed.
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]