What's new

What is the real story behind "The Ghost & The Darkness"?? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching this movie on tv. Just wondering if anyone knows how close this was to the real story?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The bridge in real life really was not that big as it was shown in the movie. It's actually pretty plain looking in real life, so they beefed up that a little bit.

But the lions really ate all those people and Colonel William Patterson was the one that killed them.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, in the movie the bridge has a sort of River Kwai look to it, but the photo at the Chicago Field Museum website http://www.fieldmuseum.org shows that the real bridge is much less cinematic.

Still a great movie though. Even though it is a true story, it seems to borrow from Jaws, but a good story is a good story. Beautiful cinematography, and Jerry Goldsmith effectively scores up a good theme for the African landscape and underscores the tension of man-eating lions.

Does anyone know if the Remington character played by Michael Douglas and his part of the story true or a Hollywood fabrication?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i think the lions i saw at field museum didnt look like the lions in the movie. but i still like the movie...

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
The lions had been turned into rugs and the Field Museum folks had to re-create the lions at a smaller scale to make up for the missing portions of hide.

No, I'm not that knowledgaeble on the subject. This info is on a plaque in front of the display. :D

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I've read the book by Patterson and it's written in a very British, stiff-upper-lip style. He didn't write the book to terrify but more as a factual record. Nonetheless, It must have been damn scary to be perched on a pole in the dark, (real dark, not 21st century kinda dark) waiting for lions.

If you enjoy this kind of stuff, I would reccomend looking for a few books by Peter Capstick. Start with Death in the Long Grass which will bring you up to speed on just how dangerous a place Africa can be. (Without even taking the human population into account...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks