what is the quickest driving route from Calgary to the Vancouver ferry terminal?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I think the headline says it all. I'm wanting to drive a moving truck from Calgary early in the morning to make the last ferry to Victoria. What is the best route and what is the expected drive time for fair weather? How about foul?

jeremy

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Try this.

MapQuest says it will take 14 hours, but I would count on 20+ hours, depending on the load.

3. BobV

BobV Second Unit

I wouldn't necessarily trust Mapquest because of the different driving conditions and roads in BC, but the route it suggest is probably the best. There's no way that it would take 20 hours from Calgary to Vancouver, not a chance, if it did you should hangup your keys and stop driving because you're a danger on the highways [​IMG]. I've often done the trip from my home (Lillooet) to Calgary in 8 hours (light traffic, average 100kph) and I'm 3 hours from Vancouver.

You have one route option to Kamloops (TransCan) but then three route options from Kamloops on...

The Coquihalla from Kamloops to Hope to Vancouver/Tsawwassen terminal. The Coq is a long long climb up and then a long long descent down the other side. Most of the road is extremely high altitude which often makes for bad weather and road conditions but it is all 4 lane. 7.5hours from Calgary to Kamloops then hopefully 3.5hours from Kamloops to Tsawwassen Terminal, if everything works well driving through Vancouver, for a total of 11hours + 1 hour for those unforeseen slowdowns enroute : 12 Hours
    Two variables here... Vancouver driving and the Coq weather issues.

or

TransCanada from Kamloops to Cache Creek to Hope to Vancouver/Tsawwassen terminal. It can get a bit slow through the Fraser Canyon because of the B-train lumber trucks and other trucking. This would be my last choice.

or

TransCanada from Kamloops to Cache Creek then Highway99 to Lillooet to Horseshoe Bay Terminal. The benefit of this route is that there is absolutely no driving through any part Vancouver. Mapquest is wrong when it lists Lillooet to North Vancouver (further than Horseshoe Bay) as a +4 hour trip. One can drive all the way to the Airport on the other side of Vancouver in 3.5 hours. It's 3 hours to Horseshoe Bay Terminal from Lillooet. If you're driving straight through with only fuel stops, you can get from Calgary to Lillooet in 9 hours (easy average speed of 88kph) then 3 hours to Horseshoe Bay for a total of 12hours + 1 hour for unforeseen slowdowns etc 13 Hours

If you do have a little bit of extra time you really should go through on Highway 99 through to Horseshoe Bay. It is the most beautiful drive in the world. I've driven through the Alps in Austria, Switzerland, and Germany and I still believe this route trumps the Alps. Breathtaking [​IMG].

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The route MapQuest first suggested was highway 3. If you are driving a loaded moving van, there is no way you are going to average 100kmh on that road.

Just getting from the Fraser Canyon to Tsawassen will take well over an hour in average traffic in a passenger car.

Also Hwy 3 is prone to construction delays, often 20mins or more depending on the time of day. If you are travelling soon, you also have weather to consider, as there are a lot of high mountain passes. I've hit snow storms in June.

5. Jeremy Illingworth

Unfortunately I`m going on Monday and the weather here isn`t good. But the truck is booked and the house is sold. When I moved here I got a turbocharged moving truck from U Haul but the woman here said they`re uncommon and I shouldn`t expect another.

jeremy

6. BobV

BobV Second Unit

You're in a moving truck? That makes a difference. I would probably go through the Fraser Canyon then.

Kamloops to Cache Creek to Hope to Tsawwassen. There was a heavy dump of snow on the tops of the mountains today and supposed to be like that until Tuesday. That means the Coq is going to be snow laden.

Since you're in a moving van you also probably won't want to go on highway 99 through Lillooet/Whistler. There's more twists/turns and ups/downs that way, so you won't even be averaging 80kph in a moving van.

Definitely go on the Number 1. That's my opinion.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I would recommend Hwy 1 as well. The Coq could be okay if it isn't snowing and has been cleared, Bob's route is a good one too. I would allow at least 15 hours total, as it won't take much to lose time, especially in a loaded van. Traffic and road conditions are unpredictable. Better safe than sorry.

8. Jeremy Illingworth

Thanks for all the help. I didn't get to Calgary until past eleven, so I decided against getting up early and making the drive in one day. I got up a eight and left the house in which I was staying at nine. I took the 1 all the way until the toll highway. The weather was good at first, but then it started to snow in the mountains and it wasn't sticking at first but started to after a while. I pressed on and the roads were dry again after Golden. I was raining a bit into Vancouver and the roads were good and I was making really good time, so I pushed it a little (which is all you can do in a 31 foot truck) and made the last ferry. From a house in the south west to the ferry in thirteen hours total. When I do it next week in my van it should be easy.

jeremy