What is the purpose to hook vcr in and outs to receiver in and outs??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Can't I just run 1 cable from the vcr out to the receiver in connections?? I don't plan on recording, just need it for play back.

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

3. Michael Cook

I have the tv hooked to the receivers "Tv/monitor" jack using s-video. So there would be no need to hook a video from the vcr to the tv?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

The only reason to connect a VCR/DVD etc. video and/or audio directly to the TV is so that you can watch without having your stereo on. This can be useful late at night etc. My receiver has a "nightmode" that reduces bass. But still there are times I watch without the receiver on. Therefore I have the video going through my stereo receiver and directly to the tv from my VCR and SAT dish.

6. Michael Cook

I do have other sources that I switch using the receiver. I have Satellite receiver and DVD player. You are saying that I won't be able to switch to my VCR and watch it on the TV without a video cable running from the vcr to the tv?? Even though I have my tv connected to the receiver with an s-video plug?

7. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

If the VCR does not have an S-Video out connector, you

will have to either:

1) Run it straight to the TV composite (yellow) input. In

this case you must switch both the TV and the receiver to

watch the VCR.

2) Buy a converter, convert it S-Video and connect it

to your receiver. This may be less confusing.

If your VCR has an S-Video out, connect it to your receiver.

REMEMBER: I don't think they have made an HT receiver that

will allow you to switch unlike video in/outs.

At the receiver:

1) S-Video inputs are switched ONLY to the S-Video output.

2) Composite video inputs are switched ONLY to the composite video output.

3) Component video inputs are switched ONLY to the component video output.

FURTHERMORE: Most TV's only have one of each type connection. However, they are usually switchable.

JRS

8. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Only if you DON'T turn on your receiver. Right now if I undrstand you, you have VCR-Receiver-TV for both video and audio??
    That fine if you always watch the VCR with the receiver on. The video switching on the receiver decides witch signal to send to the TV. On my recever I can choose, DVD, VCR, LD, or SAT Dish and using my video 1 input on the tv I watch wich ever I choose on the Receiver. But there are times I watch the SAT Dish or a home movie on the VCR etc. without having th receiver on. This is why I connect the SAT Dish and the VCR also directly to the TV using my other video choices on the TV.
    Keep in mind that whatever choice of cable you use you cannot change them once connected to the receiver. For example if you start out with s video from the VCR you need to go S video from the receiver to the TV. If you have compnet video from the DVD (The best choice) you cannon switch to Svideo from the recevier to the TV. etc. etc. email me if you have any other questios.
    michael
    [email protected]

9. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

10. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

Michael .. I thought we had you all straightened out.
    The VCR's out is used for watching the VCR. It's a signal output from the vcr to wherever you have that cable connected. You would wire something from the vcr's out to the receivers vcr in or an input on the tv.
    The VCR's in is used for sending a signal to the VCR to record. You would wire a video source's out to the vcr's in. (the receiver usually calls this vcr out.) If you aren't going to record anything you don't need to run cables to the VCR's IN. In your case, you can record stuff on your vcr if you get one of those s-video->composite adaptors for the VCR's IN and run the receivers vcr out s-video + audio l+r to the vcr's composite in + audio l+r using the s-video/composite adaptor.
    In your case, I think you might run the vcr's out/Audio out to the receiver's vcr in (using a composite/s-video adaptor), and use an RF coax cable from the VCR RF out to the tv ANT input. The RF cable will let you watch the vcr without using the receiver by tuning the tv to the channel that your vcr uses (usually a switch on the back or if not try 2, 3 or 4) with the vcr's vcr/tv button in the vcr mode. The other cables will give you better sound with your setup, eg: Dolby Pro Logic. In the second case, set the tv to input 1 (whichever input you used for the s-video from receiver to tv), and you'll get audio from the ht speakers and the picture on the tv with the receiver on and the correct input selected on the receiver.
    -David

11. Michael Cook

David, I am all straightened out now. I promise!! I guess it is obvious this is all new to me. I did go buy the s-video convertors from Radio Shack, but I was wondering if I could just get away with using one convertor. I ended up buying 2 convertors so I will hook my vcr inputs and outputs to the receiver inputs and outputs via composites and the s-video convertor.
    I have actually learned quite abit in my few days on this site. [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone.

12. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

Yes, there are lots of ways to connect audio/video equipment. There is no 'one size fits all' solution.

Note that I corrected a mistake in my previous post.

-David

13. Michael Cook

Got it Dave! Thanks again. I will print this out just incase I need a cheat sheet next week when I hook it all up. [​IMG]