What is the purpose of regional DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gary->dee, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, perhaps the Regional DVD forum but anyway what is the reason behind making DVDs playable in only certain regions? I have a DVD that's Region 0 and is playable in any region(or atleast that's what I've read about it), so why can't all DVD's just be Region 0 instead of complicating the matter?

Also on a related note, why do some DVD titles feature more or less content depending on what region it's made for?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Part of it has to do with catering to a region's needs.

R1 people don't have much use for a R2 DVD that is PAL and has a German 5.1 track. Most R2 people in Germany don't really want an English-only DVD with NTSC.

Sure, some have those "read anything" players...but that's only a small amount of people.

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Here is an example. The idea is to PREVENT people in say, Germany from watching a DVD of a film which has not played theatrically or is playing theatrically in Germany. If there was only one world wide standard then the good people of Germany could buy this DVD & probably severely reduce the theatrical box office take of the film in question.

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Thanks for the answers, guys. [​IMG]

That's a really good point, Jeff. I forgot about release dates and such.

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

It is also there so that people of that region buy from that region, rather than another one. Reason being is that licences may be held by different companies for different countries or regions.

It is why there are bonus tracks on the Japanese versions of CDs, because CDs are much more expensive in Japan than in the US. It is there to encourage people to buy locally. That's also what the Region Code system does.

Jason

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Remember hearing about all those various free trade agreements between countries? Well, the distributors of films haven't heard about them either.

7. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Of course the way to make all of this moot is to use a DVD player that is multi-regional & can do PAL-to-NTSC or NTSC-to-PAL depending on where you live. Then you can buy any DVD you want.

10. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

11. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

It's all about money, and of course the incidental consumer annoyance.

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

13. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

This is one of my many pet peeves of the movie/music industry. It's infuriating to see movies like Black Hawk Down get a full 3-disc without a DTS track in the U.S and then see it released in Japan WITH a DTS track! That is ridiculous and simply put these movie companies waste way to much time and money worrying about which region gets what extras! How simple would it be for them to simply agree upon a universal release for the world and then quickly make the language and other simple changes before shipping them out? No, instead they devote thousands of dollars to decide if they'll give the Japan a DTS track and not give it to the U.S consumer. Stupidity at it's finest. [​IMG]

As for CD's having more tracks in different regions it's basically the same stupid story. Music corps feel that if they give the Japanese "bonus tracks" on their new Foo Fighters album that will help sell a few more copies. All the while they give the U.S consumer a 12 track album without the additional 2 tracks they gave the Japanese consumer. Meanwhile the real fans of the band get screwed and sometimes never hear a song that was only made available in Japan. It sucks and it makes no financial sense to these companies.

No matter how much people try and make exuses for these companies it has very little logic in the end. They would save themselves tons of money if they just made products universal and only made changes they absolutely had to.

Dan.B

14. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

16. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

No I didn't mean they're not real fans. I just meant that people in other regions who are real fans like myself are not able to get those songs simply cause I don't live in that region. Sometimes the band will be really nice though and allow me to pay EXTRA money for those unreleased songs. [​IMG]

dan.b

17. Todd Bennington

Much of the discussion of this thread has been made under the incorrect assumption that each film is controlled world-wide by the same company. This is certainly not the case, particularly these days, as american studios sell off foreign rights to help cover the cost of making the film in the first place. A 60 year old fim like Citizen Kane may have several different rights holders in different countries, which is why the German rightsholder may not be too excited about German customers importing the US version of the DVD, even though region coding is easily circumvented. I agree that it's stupid but when DVD was developed the studios (particularly those in Hollywood) wanted to make sure that this format didn't cannabalize other foreign revenue streams. With the advent of cheap, easily modifiable players (in the US at least - it seesm that multiregion players have been the norm in Europe), the concept of region coding seems to be fading a bit. It very well may be that the whole idea is phased out if it proves to be unnecessary (which seems to be happening in the UK I believe) but was a safeguard Hollywood wanted prior to embracing the format.

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

20. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The only thing regional encoding has achieved is to create a market that shouldn't exist - regional-free players.