1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

what is the proper aspect ratio for Apocalypse Now?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by widescreenforever, Nov 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. widescreenforever

widescreenforever Stunt Coordinator

arthurjulius
    My standard dvd of Apocalypse Now I was under the impression the AR was 2.00:1 but my BluRay states on the rear cover - 2.35:1 .

which is correct for the home theater BD/DVD versions? I'm pretty sure the Theatrical prints from 1978 was 2.00:1 but with the 'branching' ( minutes) of the two films (2001) mixed into the DVD layers for the "redux" would be on both formats ??

thanks for any replies

2. JQuintana

JQuintana Second Unit

Johnny
    The framing of Apocalypse Now has been the object of a long controversy. The film was shot on Super Technovision (anamorphic 35mm), which has a projected aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (actually, 2.39:1). However, all of the DVD releases of the movie have been in a modified aspect ratio of 2.00:1.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The theatrical was always 'scope 2.39:1, the previous home video versions were pan-and-scan to 2:1. The current Blu-ray restores the correct 'scope framing.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  4. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    If the disc (DVD or Blu-ray) is from Lionsgate, then it has the corrected aspect ratio of 2.35:1. If it's Paramount, then it's in Storaro's "preferred" 2.00:1.