What's new

What is the problem? (1 Viewer)

David.Hagar

Auditioning
I am not even sure if this thread would go here or in receivers or whatever but my friend is having a problem.

He has a Sony Dream System and he has digital cable. The problem he is running into is a volume problem. Some channels will be louder then the others (which I think is a common thing) but some channels he has to turn way up to get decent sound out of them. I think the channels he has to turn up are the ones actually carrying a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal.

Any help and input would be appreciated.

Late

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I would advise calibrating the speakers, so they're all at the same level. If he can do that, then at least you know there's not a problem with the receiver.

However, it sounds like you're saying some channels are way lower. Keep in mind that even with digital cable, only a few stations (if any) will actually be broadcasting in 5.1 digital. If this is the case (i.e. you're only getting sound from the front L/R speakers), he may need to apply Pro Logic or something if he wants surround sound.

Even if you're getting true 5.1 digital sound, you're not necessarily going to get sound out of all 6 speakers at all times. For instance, if you're watching a documentary, a majority of the time, only your center channel will be active.

--Nathan

John S

Senior HTF Member
Fox sure seemed to be running some low volume 6.1 during the SuperBowl. The commercials were sure cranking though.

The 6.1 was clean though, just had to crank it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks