What is the pre-out for?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aris A, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Aris A

Aris A Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] A newbie to this exciting hobby...glad I found out about this forum. I've read some threads regarding pre-outs but i'm still in limbo to what its use. I have an HK AVR85 with JBL scs series surround package. I started going over the manuals for the receiver since i started reading the threads on this forum. I came across this pre-outs...can someone please explain what kind of unit that i can plug in there and the difference would it make. Another thing, where should i connect my equalizer? Thanks for whatever reply you could share. Mabuhay kayo!!

2. Oliver_RN

Oliver_RN Auditioning

Hello Aris;

A pre-out on a receiver is available to add an external amplifier. Pre-out is short for "Pre-amplifier output". Essentially what happens, is your receiver acts as a pre-amp/processor and fires line level outputs through those pre-out jacks you mentioned, you would then run those to an amplifier, and out to your speakers from the amplifier.

The receivers I have personally seen that have pre-outs typically have them available for front mains only, and then channel all the internal amplifier power to the surrounds and center channel.

That is not to say that some of the very high end receivers do not have pre-outs for all channels. The big Denon for example, has pre-outs available to all channels.

In terms of difference in your sound, it depends on the quality of the receiver you own (sorry, I'm not personally familiar with your model), and the quality of the amplifier you run it to. Definitely, you'll have an increase in power, and power is needed for good sound, BUT, if your receiver is not up to the task of processing the sound well, what could happen is an actual decrease in audible sound quality, simply because it is more highly amplified, and you hear more of the garbage.

Hope this is somehat helpful.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...293#post563293
    If you want to add an EQ, you have two options:
    1) Place it in the tape monitor loop (output for cassette back to input for cassette) and turn the monitor on. This will loop the audio through the EQ. However- this will only give you 2 channel Eq'ing and probably won't be active on digital signals (most don't bother using the tape loop when getting digital signal).
    2) Place eq between the receiver and amps. This would use those PREAMP outputs described above-- and you'd have to have external amps. There are several good 6 channel Eqs out there-- but there is no way to run them using internal amplifiers-- there is no way to get the EQ between the preamp and the amps in a receiver (other than a tape loop which only works on 2 channel non-digital sources).
    -Vince

4. Aris A

Aris A Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys for the input....i do have another question with the same topic(pre-outs), i've noticed 5 channels at the pre-out section at the back, since you guys mentioned an external amp would bypass the internal amp, is there a dedicated external amp that could power all of the channels except the sub(i do have a powered sub). Sort of all-in-one amp or the other way of feeding each channel with a dedicated one. Oh boy...that's sure gonna be expensive!
    i'm extending my family room and move my old system upstairs to the loft....probably i'm going for "separates",if my pocket permits, to build my new ht system. Thnx to you guys for broadening my knowledge. [​IMG]

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Aris,

There are literally dozens of multichannel amps-- some coming in 5 channel flavors as you described... some come in 3 channel with a matching 2 channel version- so you have options in case you want to do 6.1.

I would suggest reading and searching in the Receiver/Amp section on this forum-- you'll find there are several products along the lines of what you described.

-Vince