What's new

What is the point of towers If you cross over at 80hz? (1 Viewer)

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Assuming you were looking at Paradigm studio's. If you had to choose between the Studio 20/40 or 60 for fronts. 95% HT. Yamaha 2400 receiver(probably)Decent sub (svs or HSU)

The 20's go down to 54hz. The 40's go down lower but whats the point If your crossing over at 80hz? Not too mention I want to make sure the yammie can power the above speaker so I dont know If I am better off with monitor's. I was offered monitor 7's for around $550 new.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
One of the main factors, and the one that most applies to my situation, is the size of the room. My living room is very open with ceilings as high as 18'. The smaller studios just don't move enough air to fill the room with sound. If I had a smaller room, I'd probably go with the studio/40's, myself, but they just don't sound anywhere near as good as the 100's in an open area. I have them paired with an SVS PB2-ISD and I love the combination.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Because a crossover is NOT a brick wall. There is a slope associated with all crossovers, meaning frequencies below the crossover point are still heard, but at a diminishing level over that octave (80Hz-40Hz in this case). What that means is, with a 12dB/octave x-over, there will still be sound information making it to the speaker at 50Hz, and probably even as low as 40Hz.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I am powering Monitor 7s, V.1 with the Yamaha 2400. I really like the combination.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I heard the 7's with the yami 2400. Sounded pretty sweet to me. As I said in other posts my room is 20x16 also with large openings. I dont really see the point of the Monitor 5's or the studio 40's anymore. By the time Im done with the stands I might as well step up to the 7's/60's.

The 60's may be out of my reach though.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Have you thought about checking on Ebay? Or better yet, Audiogon.com? I don't think I'd mess with someone shipping them to me, but you may be able to find some nice studio v.2s within driving distance that you can get a deal on. You may also want to see if your local dealer has any v.2 demo stuff around. I picked up a pair of Monitor 11's that way last year and saved a few bills.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

With the size of your room I think the 40's would be more than adequate. Try negotiating free speaker stands if you go with the 40's. Thats what I did. Also got 15% off sticker price of the speakers.

Kevin

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My room is ~19x20 with high vaulted ceilings and the 40s were plenty (125wpc). The 60s will still have better extension, though they will not move more air. I agree about asking about the stands. My dealer wouldn't throw them in (WOW), but they did discount the whole package. Once you buy stands, you can get new speakers and keep the stands... I sold the 5s, but the stands are still there.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. So I guess there should be no problem with the 40's and the Yammie power wise. I need to hit 6th ave and see what these will cost me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks