What's new

What is the point of MOVING release dates?? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I am extremely disappointed- I'd marked this date on my calendar several months ago, when Anchor Bay was supposed to release "Can't Stop the Music" on DVD. I went to one store and was informed the release date has been changed to 4/16- TWO WEEKS from now. They said they even had some copies in the store but could not sell them because of the date change! I tried a couple other stores but no luck there either.

I could see this happening with something like "Star Wars: Episode 3" or any other big title, but this is "Can't Stop the Music", a colossal flop from 22 years ago that I've been waiting over 12 years to see presented properly on video! Thank you Anchor Bay for putting out this movie, but I was all psyched to get it today and now I'm totally bummed I'm going to have to wait another TWO WEEKS!

I know there are worse things happening in the world, but I just had to vent about this.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Those discs might be defective, so AB moved the date till they could get corrected copies out

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
The CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC release date has always been April 16. Any source that told you otherwise was wrong. AB released several other titles this week and your source must have confused them. I can tell you, having done some work on the disc, that's well worth waiting for. I can also tell you that there has been no problem with the production of the disc. My copy plays perfectly fine.

Street dates get pushed back for various reasons (like defects), but the usual reason is that the title will not be ready on time. Supplements may not be ready in time, transfers may have yet to be completed or there could be problems at the duplicator, any number of reasons.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So how is it that some stores have copies of this in stock already, but can't sell them for two more weeks?

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Because the street date is April 16. AB can produce the disc any old time they want, send it to the distributors any old time they want, and your local store still has to honor the street date, unless, of course, they're Best Buy and will street the disc any old time they want.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
They are produced before the street date - and the idea is to give it some time to get the merchandise to all the stores first before they start selling.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks