What is the point of D-VHS? Does it still have life?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SharpieDecker, Jan 19, 2005.

1. SharpieDecker

SharpieDecker Auditioning

I am wondering if D-VHS is going to have any legs or if the coming BluRay/HDVD prety much obviates its purpose?

Is there any value to getting a D-VHS outisde of its recording capability? And if not, isn't its recording capability going to be usurped by eventual optical solutions for BluRay/HDVD? Or not?

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Maybe.... but HD has been around since 1997 and I'm still not finding any optical-disk based HD recorders, or even a hard disk recorder that can do justice to HD.

So D-VHS retains its niche for another year at least.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm all smiles about having 1080i & 480i recording available with D-VHS. It beats the you know what out of not having 1080i recording, now, today, presently. I'll proably have some better sort of recorder someday, but for the next 5 years D-VHS will do just fine. Yo comrade, zat es my's 5 year plan.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Reports on the Comcast/Motorola 6214 cable HD-DVR are pretty good.

5. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I'll move to BD-RE as a recording solution as soon as the prices for blanks are about $10. Even then I'll prob still use D-VHS. Right now recording in D-VHS is so cheap on $3 S-VHS tapes, there is no reason not to do it. I record small amounts of HD and offload a ton of SD from a PVR. For a $3 tape, 6 hours of STD recording at 14mbsMPEG2(DVD is up to 10) looks amazing. I cannot tell if it's live or not.