What is the news on HD and Firewire/DVI

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cortney J Beard, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Cortney J Beard

Does anyone know if they have accepted the standard for HDTV and receivers to use Firewire or DVI and if it will affect the performance of TVs without digital conections??

Want a Sony 57HW40 but I also want it to work in a few years once they figure out copyright protection. I called Sony, Hitachi, and Panasonic and none of their reps had a clue as to what I was talking about, big surprize there.

Cort

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I seriously doubt that this kind of protection will be implemented except on Pay Per View, if at all

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I can actually see them using this feature as one way to kill off HDTV intentionally. It's been Hollywood's bane for a long time. They don't want quality, they want control... total control.

Dan

4. Mike_P

Mike_P Agent

You might want to look at Mitsubishi tv's. Mitsubishi has guaranteed that all of their tv's will be upgradable to whatever the new standard turns out to be. I think uncertainty about these future digital interface standards and copy protection schemes have a lot of people taking a wait and see attitude.

Mike P

5. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

actually, mits promise is only good if firewire is the future digital connection method. if DVI is chosen the mits promise is no good. also mits promises to sell an upgrade at around $1K, when it happens it will probably more cost effective to just buy a new set with the latest bells and whistles.

just my .02