What Is The Name Of That Movie?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Michael-de-Mat, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Michael-de-Mat

I saw a movie when I was little and I think Fred MacMurray was in it. It was in black & white and I remember there was a riddle they were trying to figure out. Some of the words in the riddle were: knobs-es, keys-es. This was about 40 years ago and I have never been able to figure out what it is called. It was probably from the late 1930's or early 1940's.

2. Michael-de-Mat

Maybe it was'nt Fred MacMurray, but someone who remineded me of hlm. I have a thought it could have been one of the Nancy Drew movies.

3. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

I googled "knobsies keysies" and found a post from a TNT forum that was similiar to yours, asking about the same Fred MacMurray film.
    Someone responded with Murder, He Says from 1945. Here's the synopsis from imdb:

Does that sound like the right one?

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

A very funny film that you don't see on television anymore. I think that's the film he's talking about with Marjorie Main and those twin brothers.[​IMG]

Crawdaddy

5. Michael-de-Mat

I'm going to have to check out "Murder"! I can remember in the movie that knobsies, keysies was to mean under the knob are the keys!

6. Michael-de-Mat

I think the title of the movie is "Murder He Says". I checked Fred MacMurray's filmography and there it was!

7. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    That film is definitely MURDER HE SAYS (1945), a great unsung comedy that needs a legit R1 DVD release, pronto! It got a nice VHS release from Universal in the late 1990s. Probably Fred MaMurray's funniest starring comedy. Directed by George Marshall (DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, etc), it even has a gag reference to his earlier Bob Hope comedy, THE GHOST BREAKERS, when MacMurray and Helen Walker investigate an old organ for clues. Perfect Halloween comedy fare; think L'IL ABNER, by way of Charles Addams.

8. Michael-de-Mat

Yes Peter, it is available on VHS but I'll wait till they produce a DVD. I've already waited 40 years to see it again and hopefully it will be on DVD soon! I keep checking Movies Unlimited, Amazon.com and BestPrices.com! Are there any other distributors that you recommend?

9. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Michael,

I generally buy from Deep Discount DVD, occasionally other places, if they have a better deal, or carry a title that Deep doesn't. Of course, since Universal hasn't done anything with MURDER HE SAYS yet for DVD, no legit dealer is going to be of help at this time. If you're referring to the purchase of the VHS edition of the film, I got mine from Critics' Choice Video, but that was several years ago, they may not carry the title these days.