What's new

What is the most quoted movie? (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'm 28 and I _never_ hear anyone quote Casablanca in daily conversation. Contrast that with the Wizard of Oz (we're not in Kansas anymore, I'm melting, etc.) which I hear frequently. However, I would say Spaceballs, Caddyshack and Office Space rank near the top with my circle of friends (along with many of the more recent films mentioned).

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I do think Wizard of Oz outranks Casablanca by nature of its broader appeal, and volume of comments, but let me tell you this.

I'm 21 years old. I lived a very sheltered childhood. I don't even socialize particularlly often. I've never heard two quote used more often then "Here's looking at you Kid" and "This is the beginning of a beautiful freindship." Not a single quote used more. I can't believe people are saying they've enevr heard those words used. That's like saying you've neevr eaten french fries or been read the story. It's like saying you've never heard "There's nothing to fear but fear itself."

An the age gap theory doesn't work. Every cartooon character from 1941 to 1995 pulled a Bogart impression.

Godfather and Star Wars and Terminator make a little hard, being fracnhises, they get to cover a lot of ground. But in that vein, one should mention the Frankenstien movies:

"It's Aliiiive"

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wasn't there a survey recently where "My name is Bond, James Bond" was voted the most famous movie quote in history? Last year I think. Probably because the Bond films are still going strong after 40 years, and still in peoples minds.

Casablanca is chock-full of famous lines, more than any other movie, I'd say.

Of the past 20 years, Pacino's Scarface has been quoted endlessly by everyone, except the old folks of course.;)

On the HTF, practically every line of Monty Python and the Holy Grail has had a yearly airing in various threads. :)
Blazing Saddles and Airplane are also very popular on the forum.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Some more Wizard of Oz gems:

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking"

"That's a horse of a different color"

"pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there a survey recently where "My name is Bond, James Bond" was voted the most famous movie quote in history? Last year I think. Probably because the Bond films are still going strong after 40 years, and still in peoples minds.
I wonder how it would do if your divided that quote by the number of Bond movies? ;)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I believe that's a common expression that was used for comic effect in Wizard of Oz.
That's correct.

I think the difference in reponses depends on how you looked at the original question. I took it to mean films that are most often quoted by newscasters, in other films, and in TV shows, but most people are thinking of lines quoted by their circle of friends.

So if that's the case, then, no, Casablanca and Wizard of Oz are not movies I generally quote from.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I doubt that any statistical evidence can be cited on the question, so here's two I like :
1. "I meant to do that" - Peewee's Big Adventure
2. "We're all of us interested in the future, because that's where we'll spend the rest of our lives" - Criswell, in Ed Wood Story.

My guess about most quoted would be Scarface. Cause I hear people say F*ck say often.

I'd be curious - does anyone know where the omnipresent "sucks" comes from?

Personally, I like to say original things, but like most of us, I rely on the usual suspects :)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Airplane.
"Have you ever seen a grown man naked before?"
"Sugar?" "No thanks, I take my coffee black... like my men."

I think that the winners are probably Casablanca and Star Wars, and possibly The Wizard of Oz.

Personally, I like to use lines from The Simpsons, Spaceballs, and The Princess Bride. So I got that going for me... which is nice.

Here are some Princess Bride lines:

"Inconceivable!"

"MAWWAIGE! MAWWAIGE IS WHAT BWINGS US TOGETHAH TODAY."

Magnus Nord

Agent
how about Ford Fairlane?

she was ugly... but i f*ed her!!!! OHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

but I must say that Pulp Fiction and Aliens have been quotd a COUPLE of times :)

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I have quoted the following movies since I was a kid (22 years old now),

The Princess Bride
Star Wars
The Wizard of Oz

Historically, in general terms I would list ,

The Godfather
The Wizard of Oz
Casablanca

In that order.

In recent years, I have been quoting from the following ,

The Maltese Falcon
Rounders
Holy Grail
Office Space

As for the best one quote from a movie, or most quotable to me it has to go Brando in On the Waterfront

" You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been someone Charley, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. I'm a bum. It was you, Charley."

Raymond

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to go with Casablanca too. When I first saw that movie, the first thing I noticed is how familiar most of the dialogs are, even when I haven't seen that movie before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks