What is the most impressive Superbit out right now?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Daniel Becker, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I don't own one of these things yet and i'm wondering which one is probably the best in terms of picture quality? Maybe someone could give a top 5 list of the Superbit's currently available?

I just got my first HDTV and progressive player and i'm wanting to see the best it can show right now. [​IMG] I already own what are considered to be among the best looking "regular" dvd's out there. Episode 2, Gladiator, Catch me if you Can, Toy Story 2, Ice Age, and A Bug's Life. Let me know what you think would impress me.

Also worth noting. I try to avoid the really "R" rated movies. I try and stick to PG-13 stuff and occasionally I buy R rated movies. Thanks.

Dan.B

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

My favorite is Fifth Element

capt

3. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Only problem with fifth element is it's non-anamorphic right?

I thought Labyrinth looked great.

4. 3000 Miles to Graceland

It's not a superbit, but since there's no extras (or DTS) it might as well be.

One of the best looking discs I've seen lately and not as bad a movie as you've heard.

You do want to see a Terminator patterned after Neil Young, right?

It is very violent, however, and would not pass the PG-13 test.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The 5th Element is 16x9...always has been, even on the first DVD.

I think the most impressive Superbit is:

[​IMG]

6. Dale Ridgeway

Dale Ridgeway Stunt Coordinator

Shouldnt that be the Glitter: SuperS#!T edition ???[​IMG]
    My Triple X superbit is pretty impressive, although the movie is lame...and it's PG13.

7. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

"Vertical Limit" SuperBit is awesome.

8. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Thanks for the info Patrick! I have looked at the packaging for both the original Fifth Element dvd and the Superbit one and have never seen the words anamorphic, enhanced for 16x9 or enhanced for widescreen tv's on the packaging. The Superbits I do own (Das Boot, Labyrinth, and Dracula) all say Anamorphic video on the back so that's why I was apprehensive about picking up Fifth Element. The same goes for Air Force One. Is that Superbit anamorphic as well? For that matter, are all superbits that are in widescreen anamorphic? I believe the only full frame Superbit is "From Here To Eternity".

9. Declan

Declan Second Unit

the original DVD of 5th Element was anamorphic and so is the Superbit.

10. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I can answer one of your questions Aaron.[​IMG] both regualr and superbit Air force one DVDs are anamorphic.

11. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Alright, thank you very much for the answer. I'm not crazy though am I? Does it say anamorphic clear as day anywhere on the packaging of either Fifth Element Superbit or Air Force One Superbit? I swear I've been picking those up and looking at them nearly everytime I go to buy DVD's for the last couple years but then putting them down and deciding I don't want something that's non-anamorphic widescreen.

Thanks!

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    the fifth element SB does not say enhanced anywere on it. but it is. and from here to eternity SB is oar. and i think is Standard 1.33:1. so no need to 16x9 enhance. right?

13. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Correct, that's why I asked if they are they all anamorphically enhanced except for the one full-frame one, "From Here To Eternity". I understand that's OAR. Thanks for the answers! I believe I will go on a little Superbit spree this afternoon.

14. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Hollow Man looks great as well.

Greg

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Except for a handful of titles, Columbia has been a 16x9 supporter from the start. The original Monty Python and the Holy Grail DVD was an old transfer, for example.

16. pradike

pradike Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] I have The Patriot, Air Force One, and the new Charlie's Angels Superbit - all are excellent in Superbit, and at least 2 of these aren't too bad as movies either!

17. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

My vote go's to MIB for best superbit. A HUGE STEP UP from the DTS released of 1999. Refrence qlty it is.

18. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Anyone want to bet that by the time this thread runs its course, every Superbit title released so far (and some that haven't) will have been cited as being the best?
    [​IMG]

19. Declan

Declan Second Unit

interesting tho I saw Superbits going for £12.99 in HMV. New ones like Gladiator and Fast and the furious. These were r2 discs though. Never owned a superbit disc at all, tho I might get Gattica as it's one of the few Superbits I dont own the standard disc of and I havent seen the actual movie before.

20. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I own Men in Black, The Patriot, Heavy Metal, Dracula, and the "half Superbit," Panic Room.

All look very good. Out of these, I would probably have to say The Patriot looks the best. Dracula and MIB are close.