What's new

What is the most disturbing movie you have ever seen? (1 Viewer)

NickT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I was going to say Event Horizon, but then I read the posts about Threads. I haven't seen it since it was broadcast on TV sometime in the 80's. I don't remember every detail, but I can remeber the way it made me feel after watching it. Compared to Threads, The Day After is a joke.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
The Exorcist is the most disturbing I've seen for many reasons, but the main one is crucifix masturbation scene, now that's just sick. The first time I saw Event Horizon it freaked me out a little, but after repeat viewing's I'm pretty much desensitized to it.

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I cant believe all these movies mentioned and no one has brought up American History X, I dont know how anyone can watch the part with the curb involved and not just cringe while doing so.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Most disturbing films are : Battle royal ( I really didn't like this movie!!! )
Requime for a dream
Second for American History X
Seven
A Clockwork Orange
The shining
Henry potrait of a serial killer

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
It may not be the most disturbing movie ever, but Halloween has to be the scariest I have seen.

I bought the DVD back in November, watched it on a Friday night when my wife was gone, and almost p****d my pants like a little kid. :)

Paul W

Second Unit
I would say Bad Taste (Peter Jackson) when the guy was forced to drink human chum.

Yech!:eek:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't the most disturbing movie. But, the most disturbing scene. In the movie Sleepaway Camp..The final revelation. For those who have seen it know. :eek:

For anyone that has seen Henry....
I am not going to be able to see the film, my wife would not be happy if I bought or rented it. But, I once read that the finale or the final scenes was bizarre. Can someone tell me what happened? Thanks!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Requiem for a Dream? With all due respect, you are all a bunch of lightweights! :D

Most disturbing in terms of visuals / gore:

Men Behind the Sun

couldn't even finish it!

2nd place:

Cannibal Holocaust

Most disturbing ideas / philosophies:

Salo

But after seeing many other Pasolini films I have grown to appreciate this film.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
Mine would have to be "Meet the Feebles". I got presented with this "gem" by some friends who then informed me the director of it was slated to direct the LOTR films...

Luckily, there's very little Feebles in LOTR!

Bill S.

Leye

Auditioning
I have seen all kinds of weird movies, including most of above mentioned and some others. Like sweet movie, in the realm of senses. Some of them are so-so, like 7. Some of them are just bad movies with gore and silly sex scenes. I mean, you can have all kinds of most inhuman scenes, cut this throw that, but that only disturb you in a disgusting form. Nothing fancy. But if the movie attracts and frights you in the same time, that's a disturbing one. In fact, a movie will disturb you much more deeply if it has a meaningful message in it. So what's my pick? It's an unseen one --- "Salo".

Everyone I know who have seen "Salo" agreed that it IS the most disturbing while strangely beautiful movie in the world. Its message is clear and audacious. But when you hear the description of the behavior in the movie, no doubt you will try to get around it. I saw the paper covers of the video tape. One is a guy with his tongue forced out, and another one is a guy hijacked in the middle. It's so frightening that I really don't have the courage to watch.

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
I have to mention, or add to my post, and it really isn't a film (per say)(spelling). I once say some footage ( mpg ) of a man's throat being slit on the Steak and cheese www site.

That was clearley the most disturbing thing I have seen. Not sure weather it was real or not. Actually they have alot of distcusting things there, but I don't think I will ever visit that site again.

Sorry for this off topic tangent.

Regards

AXE

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Se7en
The Exorcist
Silence of the Lambs
Shindlers List
Gangs of New York
Magnolia...more difficult than disturbing but brilliant
and finally the most APPAULING was....

Natural Born Killers. (I wanted to shower, say a prayer, sleep with my bible, and then go to therapy to erase that memory)

DavidDeane

Grip
There seem to be at least three interpretations of "disturbing" in people's responses: the merely disgusting (filth, gore, torture, etc.) which I have no intention of watching; the "horror" or supernatural or occult kind of "disturbing", and the subtle, psychologically disturbing movie, which doesn't quite fit in the first two categories.

I don't watch much horror or occult; in this category, Se7en and Event Horizon are movies I have seen and enjoyed for their "disturbing" qualities; but I am suprised no one has mentioned (AFAIK) Angel Heart, a very suprising and disturbing tale of hidden identities and "selling one's soul to the Devil"; a nice mix of the occult and post-WWII film noir/detetive genre film, with a suprising twist at the end. Angel Heart also seems very good at provoking the disturbing reaction with implying the gore, rather than merely rolling around in the gore like a lot of mediocre horror movies do.

In the final category of psychologically disturbing without fitting into the usual horror or occult genres, I nominate Brazil. Heck, all of Terry Gilliam's movies are disturbing in some way or other, but Brazil is perhaps the best of them.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I just want to say that I find it super-sweet that people mentioned the PRINCE OF DARKNESS scenes. Something about that future dream, the way it was filmed and the distorted audio you could baely make out- it was something I found to be very unsettling when I saw the film for the first time.

I think it's real neat to see such a simple film mentioned within all these films that went so much further to disturb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks