What's new

What is the most disturbing movie you have ever seen? (1 Viewer)

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
The original version of "The Vanishing." Messes your mind up like nothing else, and does it without showing any blood.

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
I am not into horror movies anymore, but as a teenager I watched plenty (Friday the 13th series, Halloween, etc.)and they never disturbed me, probably because I knew they weren't real and they were campy.

Movies that disturb me the most are based on horrible events that actually happened or are stories that could happen in our world.

Two movies that I can think of that disturbed me greatly are very similar to each other, but different from many listed here in this thread. The first is Schindler's List, for obvious reasons. The second was that TV movie "Anne Frank" with Ben Kingsley and Hannah Taylor-Gordon that was on a couple of years ago. I struggled with that one for days.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - I kept thinking to myself "There's real people in the world like this!"

Gummo - I kept thinking to myself "There's real people in the world like this!"

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I cant think of anything that would disturb me the way some have said here.
Ive never seen Salo, but now Im curious as to what its about.

Im pretty sure I remember seeing Henry POASK years ago.I may have to revisit that one and see.

Actually I felt pretty sick after being subjected to Pretty Woman.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Se7en is hard to watch, certainly. It's such an abjectly stark portrayal of zero-sum, chilling.

However, the most disturbing movie I've ever seen is Event Horizon. Way too creepy and disturbing for me, despite being very well done. Best vaccum exposure sequence I've ever seen on film, and Larry Fishbourne has an awesome line.

(horrible sequence of torture and hell from the bridge log recorder, a fragment of what happened when the ship was in the other dimension)
Larry snaps off the log player and announces, *very* matter a factly, "That's it. We're leaving!"

Saw it once, in theater. Never seeing it again.

--edit--
The British tv movie 'Threads'.
Bad Boys (1983)
These are also quite disturbing for me. Bad Boys was very good, still is, but it gets extremely violent near the end and while "good", is hard to watch.

Everything about Threads is hard to watch.

I'll second "Threads".

This was shown to our sixth-grade social studies class back in the eighties, and I had nightmares of a nuclear holocaust for many years afterwards. At the time, it seemed like such a thing could occur at any moment, and there would be nothing I or anyone could do.

The most frightening image I was left with was the woman wetting herself while staring at the blossoming mushroom cloud. Nothing I have ever seen before or since has shown the sense of individual helplessness and terror as starkly. You can easily imagine yourself in her place, staring at a nightmare that can't be happening, yet is, and losing all rational thought.

My description of this scene and this movie can't do it justice. It still chills me thinking of it to this day.

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen many of the films listed in this thread - I guess I'll have to add them to my "must-see" list. The film that disturbed me the most was definitely Schindler's List, for the fact several others already mentioned, millions of people actually experienced this.

I can't imagine something like that in my worst nightmares...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ive never seen Salo, but now Im curious as to what its about.
This is a treatment of the Marquis de Sade’s book (if it can be termed that), 120 Days of Sodom. It is brought forward in time to Fascist Italy, where some high ranking members of the party (via their henchmen) kidnap a group in innocents and proceed to brutalize them in every way imaginable (and some that you have likely not imagined).

There is never anything to lighten the tone of this film. It begins on a low note and spirals down throughout the film.

It is clearly a commentary on Italian society and what happened (and the implication is that it is still happening). More importantly it is a commentary on what happens with absolute power.

If you care (and I think included in the liner notes), the film’s screenplay is organized along classic, dramatic lines (a five-act schema), rather than De Sade’s work.

It is the work of an intellectual and one can only view this film from an intellectual perspective. Getting too caught up in this, is just too hard.

If you are still interested, it is available on a OOP Criterion DVD (which sells for about $400–$500). A more prudent investment would be the R2 DVD, which can be ordered from Amazon for around 20 pounds).

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Santa sangre

One of the few films I couldn't get through... and I am a huge fan of weird films.

:eek:

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I have an addendum........

A few years ago, I saw an import LD from Japan about a guy who murders a restaurant owner and his family (including young children). If I remember correctly, he also served them up as food in the restaurant.

I cannot recall the name of this movie, but it was extremly disturbing.

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
I think you're thinking of THE UNTOLD STORY.

I think I have to give this award to a movie that I've never seen, but the description alone made me nauseous: CUTTING MOMENTS. Look it up if you want, but be forewarned.

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Well,

It's been years since i've seen this movie. I think I was probably about six. But the movie TOMMY made me sick to my stomach. I think it had something to do with the visuals. Oh yeah and Tina Turner was in it, which was just too freaking odd!

Gabrielle

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
That is indeed THE UNTOLD STORY....yes a truly disturbing film with a damn powerful lead actor Anthony Wong.
You can rent it on Netflix, but be warned that it has some of the most grueling rape & murder sequences you will find anywhere.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Bad Lieutenant
In this early 90s film, Harvey Keitel plays a terribly hateful, self destructing cop with a huge gambling problem who investigates a brutal attack on a nun; Keitel is vicious in the role, and the ending isn't exactly uplifting material.

Weeks after seeing the film, I still can't get Keitel's performance out of my head; of all the dirty cops portrayed in The Shield, LA Confidential, Training Day, and Narc, Keitel was definitely the most brutal.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Amen! Add Patch Adams and I am Sam to the list also! :D

Also:

Man Bites Dog

and

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - Excellent movie, but it's got more than a few stomach-churning moments.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
It is "The Untold Story"

And it is the most disturbing thing that I have ever seen on film.

This flick is brutal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks