What is the model # of that Samsung HD-DVD Player comming out in June?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_Reiter, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

What is the model # of that Samsung HD-DVD Player comming out in June?

I was reading a thread that posted a link to the article that explained about this upcomming DVD-player. Can anyone give me a URL?

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Samsung DVD-HD931. MSRP $349 according to all press releases I have read.

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Anyone know when the first discs are coming out??

Edit: I just read some info about it, and it appears that it just uses some processing technique to up-convert dvd's to 720p or 1080i. Is this correct? I wonder how much better it is than normal progressive scan dvd?? I guess I'll have to wait and see...

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Nick is right. It just scales regular dvds to 720 or 1080. It is not a HD-dvd player. If I remember correctly it will only scale through the DVI output, not the analog component outputs.

TimG

5. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

With all the RP-82, XP-30, (insert your favorite DVD shoot-out model number here) talk around here, It seems a lot of people don't have DVI input televisions yet.

I just got a Hitachi 57SWX20B so I am more than ready to ditch the analog output players. I need this DVD player yesterday!

It's time to upgrade your monitors people...

$0.02

6. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

With Samsung really-bad track records, it amazes me the number of people still thinking of buying Samsung products.

7. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

I don't care too much about past stuff. I live in the now. Samsung gained my respect when the became the only manufacturer to get the DLP chips for TI because the aggreed to sell the new tv's under $5000.

Apparantly they are doing something right. They seem to be the first manufacturer comming out with HD-DVD products in a decent price range too. That gets my respect.

Samsung has addmittedly never been my first choice for anything, but they are stepping up to the plate and therefore, I will consider their product.

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

9. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

Tom I only bought my TV one year ago and it only has Analog inputs for HDTV.

I hardly think tat I should have to upgrade in one year for a product that cost me $2500. That kind of money might come easy for you, but it will take me at least 1-1 1/2 years to pay off. It is just frustrating, and I hope there will be something out there that will allow me to just convert the DVI into Component.

It is very frustrating that I am having to pay off my TV and will not be able to get HDTV until about 1-2 years from now just so I can save up for the dish/antenna and receiver/decoder.

Just had to make my $.02

10. David Susilo

I don't know about you, but I think 5 broken HD RPTV within less than 2 years is excessive, and I also live "in the now", because the very last replacement was broken about 3 weeks ago, about 1 week after I received the replacement.

Oh... have I mentioned about the two top of the line 19" PC monitors that breaks within 4 months of purchase?.

and the CD recorder... (bought about 6 months ago, died after 3 consecutive burns)

and the DVD player... (bought about 2 months ago, keep having problem on the layer change)

and the other DVD player... (also bought about 2 months ago, died after 20 days of usage)

yeah... I live in the 'now'

11. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    David,

I'm glad you keep buying up all the lemons just so some of us don't. Thanks. :wink:

_Man_

12. David Susilo

Yep! I got nothing but bad experience with Samsung product. The only manufacturer that come anywhere near Samsung (but by a distant second) is Toshiba, but that's only for their DVD players in the early days of DVD (1997 and 1998).

Never had a single problem with Pioneer, Panasonic, Hitachi or Sony. The same goes with JVC too.

but for Samsung?... maaaaaaan! [​IMG]

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Ah! I didn't realize you tried Samsung so many times. I thought you only got burned by their TVs.

Personally, I think Toshiba players are more reliable than Panny's in the long haul. Yeah, it seems that they sometimes need firmware fixes (although I never experienced it myself w/ 3 different Tosh's), but I rarely read about Tosh players dying completely. Meanwhile, I still hear about Panny's dying after a year or so--usually the laser. Also, plenty of people find Panny build quality to be lacking in general even though they may love the PQ.

_Man_

14. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

David, I feel your Samsung pain. My SIR-T150 HD tuner died shortly after its one year warranty had expired. I did decide to give them one more chance by purchasing a newer SIR-T151 as a replacement, since Samsung had the only OTA-only tuner on the market at the time. Hopefully I will not get burned a second time.

As others have mentioned, there is no HD-DVD format on the market currently, nor has one been announced. No studio has announced any support for any disc-based HD format, either.

16. David Susilo

That's right, Asim, in the 'olden' days, manufacturer's excuse for charging alot for PC monitor is due to its high resolution. Now HDTV has the same resolution as PC monitor with LESS flexibility (not PAL/SECAM compatible, no user adjustment for geometry, overscan, separate gun RGB colour balance to achieve proper 6500k easily), and they charge 50% MORE than PC monitor.

I think the only reason to do so is because "they can"

17. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

can we get a moderator to change the thread title? while unitended, it is misleading.