What's new

What is the minimum AMD CPU for HTPC? (1 Viewer)

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
What are your CPU recommendations for HTPC? It will be used as a music server, DVD player, Scaler, and act like a Tivo. I will also surf the net with it. It will not be used for extreme gamming. I was thinking about getting an Athlon XP 2100+, but I can get an 1800+ for $56. If that is enough speed, I will save my money for other things.

Andrew Walbert

Stunt Coordinator
For HTPC uses, any of the currently available Athlon XP processors will provide more than enough power. Unless you're going to be gaming, there's little need for the more expensive CPUs.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
1800 should be more then enough. U have to remember that the AMD XP Cpu's SMOKE intel Cpus at the same MHZ speed and even higher hence their rating system. It is only until you get to the 533fsb and at least the 2.53Ghz does the Intel start to pull away, and at a mighty high $$$ premium to boot.

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
I run a 950 athlon thunderbird with 512mb, Geforce 4 ti4600, Hauppauge PVR 250, SB audigy, dlink wireless network, and RF remote keyboard and mouse. Works great! There is no need for a higher processor unless it will be a gaming machine also.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
cameron,

From what I understand, a Duron 1 GHz will do most anything neccesary for an HTPC. An athlon 1+ GHz might be needed if you were Tivo'ing HDTV signals, but for DVD playback, TV, Tivo, and music a Duron is just fine.

Actually, it might even be preferred as they don't run as hot as an Athlon XP.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
for Tivo type deals you need to be more concerned about your ram then your cpu speed. another over 1ghz will actually do okay, but you need to make sure that you have over 512mb of ram, the more the better, to ensure smooth recording and playback from your computer. a faster cpu will help as always but I will put foward that the amount of ram in your system is more vital.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I use an AMD 1.2ghz with 512mb ram and it works flawlessly. Tivo, DVD, multimedia, scaling, HD, you name it, it works.

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
From what all of you have said, I think an 1800+ will be more than enough speed. I will take the money that I save and spend it on RAM. Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread