What's new

What is the life span of a DVD player (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, I've had my Pioneer DV-525 (just sold!) since January 25, 2000 and it's played exactly 170 DVDs (including box sets) flawlessly. No problems whatsoever. I upgraded to a Toshiba SD4700 in May and couldn't be happier! The picture quality on the Tosh is at least 20% better than that of the DV-525 (more detail and much better color saturation). I'll see if the Tosh can stand up to my previous Pioneer. So far, it has. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brad HP

Agent
Joe Tilley,

22,167 hours in just under three years seems incredible. If you round up and call it 3 years, that would equal 1,095 days, which results in your DVD player working slightly more than 20 hours per day. Based on your usage, does that sound right to you? I am just trying to figure out if these counters can be relied upon.

Thanks,

Brad

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Hmm..I bought a Panasonic A110 in late '98, and it died EXACTLY a year to the day in late '99...I learned my lesson and bought a...Panasonic A120 (!), and that has been my workhorse since then, never a problem...so you really never can tell!

Now that I've recently upgraded my display to a 16:9 progressive scan RPTV, an upgrade is in order, but the question is...which player??!? The answer is, unfortunately, there is no perfect player out there right now, regardless of price point.

-Dennis

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Brad, at one point it did probley see almost 20 hours a day for about 5 months due to no cable & the wife & I working two different shifts. I would be at work wile her or my kids watched movies than she would got to work & I had it running. Even know with cable I constantly watch something on DVD. There are very few nights that it don't get used.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Good question Felix, I keep the player in a glass-doored stereo cabinet, inspect and clean disks for dust before putting them in, and occasionaly gently run a vacuum cleaner on the front of the unit, and the open tray.

If its the optical unit that goes first, is there professional (in the shop) maintenance to "clean" lenses? And clean or lubricate other inaccessible components of the player?

Is the public just too acceptant of poorly made, throwaway products?

It burns me to think machines can 'die' after a couple of years.

Brad HP

Agent
Thanks Joe, I'm going to have to check to see if Panasonic have similar counters to track hours of usage. Anybody know?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
john thanks for th explanation. what kind of vacuum cleaner are you using? is it effective, cleaning the player only on the outside? do you open the player's case?

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Dmitry, With the power off on the player you press ( title, clear, power ) on your remote within one second of each other. When the player comes on it will have a blue screen with 9 options. You wont to go to Emergency History it will tell you the hours used for DVD & CD, & what I don't understand is mine even has a counter for SACD?
Turn the player off to exit.

PS This only works on Sony models.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Felix, its just a small vacuum, I keep my hand over the nozzle to prevent it from actually contacting or pulling at a part; I am just removing surface dust on the buttons and the exposed part of the tray when it is in the open poition. My hope is that I am reducing the amount of visible dust and dirt in these areas from getting transferred into the machine when I actually put a disk in for play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks