What's new

What is the legal definition of "extortion"? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...2Dnews%2 Dhed
According to the story, Jordan is accusing the woman of seeking $5 million to keep quiet about a relationship they had ten years ago.
If the woman went to Jordan and said she would tell the world about the affair unless he gave her money, is that illegal? There is certainly nothing illegal about her telling the world. At what point do you draw the line and say that someone is extorting? Is asking for hush money against the law?

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Definition
extort: to obtain(e.g. money) by coercion or intimidation.

So therefore, what she has attempted to do, by definition is extortion.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but I guess more specifically, when does it become a crime?

If she had requested/demanded a signed basketball for her silence, is that a crime? Is it the amount of money that's involved?

I just wonder what Jordan's motives are. He is supposedly trying to get the court to declare that her claims are "unenforceable" (well, no duh!) and to prevent her from pursuing money from him in the future (I don't think she has much leverage anymore now that it's all public anyway).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Definition
extort: to obtain(e.g. money) by coercion or intimidation.
This is an interesting case. Intimidation involves an inducement of fear. It doesn't sound like Jordan fears this woman, so it doesn't sound like she is capable of intimidating him (coercion doesn't appear to be a factor at all here). Since it's public, it all seems moot.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Is asking for hush money against the law?
Yep.

Paying hush money isn't, though. I can come to you and say, "Look, please don't tell anyone about this. I'll pay you." That's a bribe, and as long as you're not a public official of some sort, it's mostly OK. But you coming to me and saying, "I'm going to do this if you don't pay me", that's extortion.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
That is, no doubt, one of the strategies behind the lawsuit.
Couldn't Jordan just as easily have told the woman, "Go ahead--tell your story."? Either way, it becomes public and the woman gets nothing.

As Jordan had already paid her $250,000 a while ago, maybe he thinks he can get that money back from her for reneging on their prior "agreement," if there was one. (Not that he needs the money.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks