What is the HOT HDTV DSS Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by aaronc, Nov 11, 2001.

1. aaronc

aaronc Auditioning

TIA,
    Aaron

2. Jon_T

Jon_T Agent

Define "Hot"?
    [Edited last by Jon_T on November 12, 2001 at 02:09 AM]

3. JoshWB

JoshWB Extra

I personally started with a toshiba, but have gone with a little bit of an upgrade in the mitsu 500. I absolutely love this thing. The guide is completely integrated, and it is so easy to use.

4. JaimeC

JaimeC Extra

I am looking at the Sony SAT-HD100 ($799) or the Toshiba DST3000 ($799). I heard the Sony has many capabilities to receive DTV,DTV HD, Analog Off Air, and Digital Off Air programming, but runs hot and has a mini cooling fan that runs when the unit is juiced up.
    Can anyone tell me if this is true? What about the best between these two i mentioned.
    JaimeC

5. JoshWB

JoshWB Extra

It is true. I have heard through about 6 of my friends that have the sony, that it runs very hot. The mini fans do absolutely nothing. Like I said earlier, the Mitsu might be a little pricey, but it does everything the Sony does, and does not run hot. Atleast mine hasnt.

6. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

I have the Sony SAT-HD100 and it is hot on top but NOT so much that it would fry an egg. Yes, it does have a cooling fan but I cannot hear it when I am sitting 11 feet from it. It is on the top of my rack cabinet so the heat is not a source of concern for me. I also have plenty of air space around it (in other words, if you plan on getting one, do not plan on putting anything on top of it).
    The main reason for going with this unit and not any other is that this is the ONLY unit that will take over the air analog channels and put them on the channel menu (therefore I do not have to use the VCR or TV tuners for local over-the-air broadcasts). If you get locals via DirecTV or Dish network, then this will not be an issue for you. The "cool" thing is that all inputs are put on ONE menu for easy access!
    It also has several other usful features for me since I also have a smartfile VCR and Sony TV which uses information sent to it from the SAT receiver. I personally love mine and would not go back to my RCA unit that I had before.

7. JoshWB

JoshWB Extra

Actually my mitsu 500 does the same thing. You have to go to the menu screen and access them for the guide, and it does the rest for me. I receive the local channels via OTA HD, and they come in on the guide for me. The sony was the first to do it, and now the sony and the mitsu both do it. And the Mitsu doesnt run hot at all.
    jb

8. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I have the Sony SATHD100. It is quiet and does not run hot. I love it. It is cooler while it is on than my Sony SATB55's are while they are off.
    ------------------
    "A film, by Oleg Razgul"
    "How was that?"
    "That was great"

9. John Schmiedt

I have the Sony as well. Fan isn't too noisy, but I have it in a rack behind doors. I think the menus are very nice. The front panel display is very useful, the integrated guide is very nice, the ability to set it to auto switch display modes is great depending on your TV. If you need to send to a TiVo or a VCR the front panel/remote switch for 480i is an absolute must. Not sure how many other units have this, I know for sure the long-awaited Zenith does not. You have to toggle a switch in the back. Talk about stupid engineering!
    One thing that absolutely floored me when I went from a regular old RCA DSS recvr to the HDTV Sony was the very noticeable upgrade in picture quality even on regular non-HD material. I was amazed how much better it was. I guess it's a combination of things but I use the component outs to my Wega now instead of the S-vid and I gotta think that made some difference. Anyone else notice this? It really was a huge improvement in my case. DirecTV on most channels now looks as good as a DVD.
    BTW I got a very good deal on the Sony at my local Circuit City. Someone brought a unit back because they felt they couldn't afford it after thinking about it further. They knocked off $200. All warranties, 30 day return, etc. apply. So if your in the market, look around.

10. JaimeC

JaimeC Extra

Good feedback, thanks. I found a deal on www.americansatellite.com for the Sony SAT-HD100, HDTV Sat Dish, Self Install instructions with hardware all for $899. How does that sound to you guys? I am not sure if u have to purchase a DTV package or not with it.
    JaimeC

11. Robert H

Robert H Auditioning

i'm on my second sony hd100 from circuit city-can't get hdtv to work properly-picture "freezes" and goes black at random-local store not being shipped anymore units with replacement unit upgrade not due to fall- buyer be aware! mu unit is goung back for refund.