What's new

What is the highest grossing film ever made? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well articulated response, Seth.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks Titanic would have been able to command $15-$25 ticket prices at the boxoffice (a similar increase factor to what happened with GWTW). I seriously doubt it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
With the tremendous word of mouth that Titanic generated, I'm sure people would have paid those prices for a "Road Show" type presentation.
No doubt in my mind.
There are many other films that I would also pay to see in that way such as Jaws, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and other films of that nature.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Let me dredge this up just for some closure on one disputed adjusted figure issue.

There was concern that these adjustments were made by taking a flat multiplier from the first year of release and multiplying it to TOTAL revenue for all releases.

I can verify that this is not done this way, at least at boxofficeguru.com. The reason I know is by seeing this in the list...

10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Dis.

$610,400,000 $184,925,486

11 Ben-Hur

MGM

$603,076,924 $70,000,000

The $600,000,000 numbers are the adjusted, the 2nd numbers are the actual. The year is the first release date of course.

So if it were done in some flat manner then how could Snow White with 2.5 times the gross (and $110,000,000 more) of Ben-Hur be adjusted to only $7,000,000 more than Hur if Snow White's numbers were being created with a multiplier STRAIGHT from '37 when Hur is getting '59 numbers.

Heck, I would guess inflation from '37 to '59 was rather large simply because the US was just getting out of the depression, let alone the 22 years difference.

So obviously not all of those Snow White dollars are getting the 1937 multiplier. If they were then SW would be about 4 times higher than Ben-Hur, rather than ending up almost even. Clearly much of Snow White's actual gross comes from post-1959 and is therefore multiplied by smaller figures for those other release years compared to Ben-Hur.

So the Guru figures do show us how much "true" revenue any of the top films have been able to generate in theatrical releases, including taking into account releases in different years/decades.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is: Damn, according to Todd's post above, E.T. non-adjusted and with no major re-release like Star Wars had with the SE, is still in the #7 spot! That's pretty awesome.
/Mike

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Four pages and we all might be wrong. Not every movie's ticket sales or country's attendence is counted.
I just learned these two little tidbits...
For 17 years since it's release, a theater in New York has shown to (at times) sold out houses...Deep Throat at an average of $40 a ticket. They retired DT in the mid 80s. No figures of how much this movie has made is available.
Some theaters in Bangkok are still showing to packed houses night after night, Bruce Lee's Return of the Dragon, and have been showing it since it's initial release in the late 60s. Thailand doesn't count box office results, unless it's a Hollywood film.
Just some food for thought.:D

JoeDelan

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know what is worse...The Movie Titanic or the fact that you people are in here debating about Titanic...

Facts---

1. Titanic has made the most money in the history of movies.

2. When adjusted for inflation it has not

3. the movie still SUCKED.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks