What's new

What is the future of 3D? (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
In answer to Type A,

Both my 65" Panasonic plasma V series and my amazing full brightness Sony OLED flicker and ghosting free 3D viewer present full 1080p 3D in all of it's stunning and glorious detail.

Anyway, argue all you like, I for one absolutely love 3D and have ZERO issues with the glasses.

Pardon me please, I have returning visitors in the other room who are all patiently waiting for me to run "The Hobbit" in 3D. :3dglasses:
I'm so pleased that they also have no issues.

Doug.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Doug Bull said:
In answer to Type A,

Both my 65" Panasonic plasma V series and my amazing full brightness Sony OLED flicker and ghosting free 3D viewer present full 1080p 3D in all of it's stunning and glorious detail.

Anyway, argue all you like, I for one absolutely love 3D and have ZERO issues with the glasses.

Pardon me please, I have returning visitors in the other room who are all patiently waiting for me to run "The Hobbit" in 3D. :3dglasses:
I'm so pleased that they also have no issues.

Doug.
Then don't keep them waiting. They might get pissed and leave.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I want to love 3d, but it is so hard to find decent content. It irritates me when a James Cameron or the guys at Pixar say that having these come out of the screen is gimmicky. You don't shoot at 2.35 and place everything in the center ignoring the edges. If you cant use all three dimensions effectively then don't shoot in 3d, and especially don't convert. When artists start fully embracing the medium I think it will catch on more. I remember as a child visiting Disneyworld and watching captain EO, and later Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. The crowds oohed, ahhed, and cheered. Now a 2 hour movie doesn't have to be wall to wall in yo face, but a few effective sequences, along with effective subtle 3d, and I'm game.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
sleroi said:
especially don't convert.
3D conversions are getting better. The latest G.I. Joe Retaliation 3D has given me the strongest 3D yet, where I had to verify the impressive results on three different 3D display/setups. Other IMO, top-notch 3D conversion exceptions are Jurassic Park, Titanic, and Top Gun, in the order listed. YMMV. IMO, native 3D usually is a safer buy for impressive visual quality, but is not always the case. Hands-on experience is the cinematic artistic learning curve that only recently in the last 3 years is now continually being practiced for quality 3D content.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
You can count me in the love 3d camp. If the release is in 3d that is the one I want. I have no problems with the glasses. In fact, IMAX and 3d is the only reason I go to the theater anymore because I feel everything else can be replicated at home.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Paul Hillenbrand said:
3D conversions are getting better. The latest G.I. Joe Retaliation 3D has given me the strongest 3D yet, where I had to verify the impressive results on three different 3D display/setups. Other IMO, top-notch 3D conversion exceptions are Jurassic Park, Titanic, and Top Gun, in the order listed. YMMV. IMO, native 3D usually is a safer buy for impressive visual quality, but is not always the case. Hands-on experience is the cinematic artistic learning curve that only recently in the last 3 years is now continually being practiced for quality 3D content.
I had no idea Titanic was a conversion, all I knew when I bought it was it was highly recommended for its 3D prowess. Youd certainly never know it was a conversion by watching it. Solid from beginning to end, guess that goes to show the amazing possibilities of 3D conversions.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I can not see 3D because of my vision, and can not for the life of me even imagine what it would look like. In any event, the idea of anything other than original production doesn't fly with me. Do people even shoot movies in 3D?

I have a Kuro. I assume that if I watch a 3D tv and I can't see 3D, the tv would be useless for me?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
McPaul said:
Do people even shoot movies in 3D?
Yes they most certainly do.
"The Hobbit" and "The Great Gatsby" are just two recent examples of movies being shot with state of the art 3D cameras.

3d_red_camera.jpg

I genuinely feel saddened for those like yourself who are unable to experience the wonders of 3D.

3D is only an added-on viewing option to otherwise 2D TVs.
You choose and purchase a TV mainly for it's 2D picture quality, if it has 3D capabilities and you are able to view 3D, then that is a bonus.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Ron's comments are restricted to Dolby's new 3D glasses-free displays. I don't believe he's had the chance to play with the type of display described above, which apparently uses visual cues in addition to stereopsis to represent the 3D experience.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen_J_H said:
Ron's comments are restricted to Dolby's new 3D glasses-free displays. I don't believe he's had the chance to play with the type of display described above, which apparently uses visual cues in addition to stereopsis to represent the 3D experience.
Hopefully he might get a look at this new display then, it's unclear to me from the review at the other site if it does pop out well.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
FoxyMulder said:
It works but how well does it work, are we talking 5cm out, a foot out, 5 feet out, that's what i want to know.
I've only seen a brief demo of Ultra-D but pop-up was practically non-existent. Depth was okay, but focus varied on angled viewing but I felt a better 3D experience was with glasses...at least so far. I'd also be concerned about the lesser resolution on 2D viewing on 4K sets equipped with U-HD. I think that LGs target date of 2017 is a realistic one, but even then it will probably need more tweaking (and price drops). So maybe in five years time, but right now I didn't see anything to get excited about.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I really cannot see glasses free being that good but would like to be proved wrong, I've no problems with wearing glasses over my pre scrips.I have high hopes for 3Ds future, I love the format as long as its done well with depth And pop out, I don't get eye strain or headaches with my active setup but I don't try and watch 3D with the curtains open during the daytime. Infact I only ever watch movies of 2 or 3D in controlled lighting, 3D with just my tv bias light.I just hope the format continues and more pop out is used for the proper 3D experiance.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Panman40 said:
I just hope the format continues and more pop out is used for the proper 3D experiance.
My wish too, i was thinking of something earlier today, why was the native shot 3D film Jack The Giant Slayer not called Jack The Giant Killer, was this due to political correctness or was there some other reason behind the title change. ?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FoxyMulder said:
My wish too, i was thinking of something earlier today, why was the native shot 3D film Jack The Giant Slayer not called Jack The Giant Killer, was this due to political correctness or was there some other reason behind the title change. ?
I think the original title was Jack The Giant Killer, and they changed it to be more family-friendly (somehow "slayer" sounded less violent than "killer"?)... doesn't really make much of a difference to me either way, but it clearly mattered to someone!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Josh Steinberg said:
I think the original title was Jack The Giant Killer, and they changed it to be more family-friendly (somehow "slayer" sounded less violent than "killer"?)... doesn't really make much of a difference to me either way, but it clearly mattered to someone!
Yeah i guess as long as they make a killing at the box office they don't care if those giants are slayed or killed at least we don't have old films having their titles changed just to appease all this modern political correctness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks