What's new

What is the frequency range for midrange? (1 Viewer)

VinhT

Second Unit
I am currently evaluating my current speakers (so cheap that I'm too ashamed to name the brand :)), and I was wondering, what's the frequency response range that classifies as midrange? Whenever people review satellite speakers, the midrange seems to be the most common problem area. Doing some rudimentary informal testing, my satellite speakers do alright from 100Hz to 10500Hz, but when I listen to music with a subwoofer(crossed at 100Hz), I get the feeling that something's missing...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Vinh,

First, welcome to the Forum!

I would classify midrange as roughly 300Hz to 2kHz.

I have to wonder just how “rudimentary” your testing is, since it seems you’ve established rather precise boundaries (i.e., not 10 or 12kHz, but 10.5kHz ): ) for your speaker’s limitations.

It’s hard to say what the problem is since you give no details on exactly what you think is missing. For instance, like the vocals sound “dark” or “thin”... something like that.

However, since you say something seems to be “missing” (rather than “too much of a good thing"), I’m going to hazard a guess that your system might be overly flat. Contrary to popular belief, measured-flat room response usually sounds bad: lacking warmth, overly bright with weak bass.

When I got my system dialed in right, there was a measurable rise in response at lower frequencies. Response gradually rises 8dB from 20kHz to 125Hz. Below 100Hz response rises another 9dB, to 30Hz and plateaus below that point.

If this is what you think the problem might be, try dialing in some bass with the tone controls, or perhaps reducing the treble.

Good Luck,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JimN

Stunt Coordinator
I think Wayne has some good suggestions. You may also want to try adjusting the crossover point and slope if those are adjustable. Both can have a large effect on how seamless the transition sounds and both can cause "frequency gaps" because of cancellation or "peaks" because of reinforcement. However, as Wayne said it is hard to know without more info.

VinhT

Second Unit
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be sure to try them out. I think one of my problems may be that I've never really heard hi-end audio before, so I don't exactly know what full-bodied music should sound like. Hopefully, a new purchase will help me shed my ignorance! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks