What is the first step towards HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Larson, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

What do you think should be considered the first steps towards a full HT setup?
    I feel it should be the purchase of an RPTV. However, it seems everyone's got those nowadays. [​IMG]
    So is the purchase of a 5.1 receiver the first step towards Home Theatre?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Depends on whether you are a "sound" guy or a "video" guy. Personally, I am a sound guy. I think the effect of a kickin sound system with a 27" TV has more impact than that of a $3500 RPTV and using the TV's speakers, but that's just me.

BTW, I only have a 27" TV with a great sound system, but plan on using 2003 for all my video upgrades to HDTV and a new DVD player.

For what it's worth, the reciever isn't any good without speakers, so I would say the first step to building a HT would be the purchase of some kind of TV, followed by a DVD player, then followed by the combo of Reciever/Speakers.

3. Bill Wilkins

Bill Wilkins Agent

A second mortgage.:[​IMG]

4. Mark Larson

5. Douglas_H

Douglas_H Stunt Coordinator

Mark,
    giving out advice is always dicey, but you asked. [​IMG]
    My first piece of advice would be, don't spend a bundle right off. I was convinced that a RPTV was the way to go until I investigated front projection.
    You need to consider the space where the theater will reside. Will it be single or multi purpose? Is the external light controllable? WAF is also critical.
    Do you currently have any HT gear. If not, I suggest HTB.
    It'll get you into surround sound and allow you time to get to decide on your level of commitment. If you already have speakers you can assimliate these into the HT.
    Unless you drop a bundle, you'll be itching to upgrade very soon. And if you do drop a wad you might have serious buyers remorse.
    Personally I pick audio products soley with music reproduction in mind. If Beethoven's 6th sounds good, an AK-47 will too. [​IMG]
    Invest in a calibration cd(AVIA/Video Essentials) and SPL meter, these are absolutely fundamental in getting the most out your system.
    Take it slow and do your research. Check other sites. This is a good place as is the AVS Forum.
    HTH

6. Bill Wilkins

Bill Wilkins Agent

If you already have the tv and not the 5.1/7.1 receiver or separates I would go for the 5.1/7.1 and listen in stereo until you can add the other speakers/sub. Then I would add the surrounds as you can run a phantom center channel from the main speakers. Follow this with a sub/center.
    If you plan on doing this one step at a time you will definitely experience up-gradeitis. You are the one who will ultimately decide what your HT is going to be. Is it going to be a combo living room/ht(poor WAF)or are you going to have a dedicated room? The room is the most important component in an HT system.
    If you want to spend the time, answers to all of your questions are here and on AVS. I spent months on the two forums as a lurker prior to adding a HT/listening room onto my house. And I have re-popped my first and added a second mortgage. If your interested, here's my theater now(still waiting for new twin subs, 4 new surrounds, Anthem AVM20, and the last of 9 monoblock amps for 7.2 setup. http://billwilkins48661.tripod.com
    I am on my fourth CDP player,third DVD player, fourth processor, second speaker system, second set of theater furniture. Mistakes, I've made a few but not on the room.
    I started construction last June and completed in September.
    I started out like you and had it set up in the living room.
    The wife hated it and I could only use the theater during normal hours. I have had three different RPTV's over the years. If sound is a concern for you don't even consider an RPTV as it creates a huge block in the soundstage. Go for a front-projection unit and screen. I have shared a few adventures over at AVS forum. You can do a search for me there if you want to see what I have been doing during and after construction.
    When you have more questions, ask away. I find that people here and at AVS are more than willing to help.

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

8. Mark Larson

BTW, i'm not looking for advice... This is just a survey-type thread. [​IMG]

9. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I think the first step into HT should be in the audio department. While lots of people have big screen televisions I wouldn't classify most of them as home theaters.

10. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

The first step is admitting you have a problem!

"Hi, my name's Tim, and I have an HT addiction."

Seriously, I think the first step is not a certain piece of gear, but combining separate audio and video systems, with loving care, into one harmonious unit.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

First step: Excellent Credit. [​IMG]
    Seriously though, for me, it's audio first. If the home-theater system is going to serve one's music needs (i.e., in lieu of a dedicated stereo system), then one should demo equipment with music and DVDs. It's easy enough to compare picture quality. One is primarily comparing various display devices and then DVD players (cables come afterwards). With audio, one needs to consider synergy of the front-end component(s) (turntable, CD player, SACD player), the amp (A/V separates with monoblocks or multi-channel amps and/or receivers), and speakers. In addition, besides considering synergy of these components, one needs to consider whether they are are appropriate for the room in your home. Are the speakers large enough? Are they too large? Can you position a given speaker optimally? Is the amp powerful enough for your room? Is/are the subwoofer(s) large enough for your room? After addressing these key issues, one can consider cables. To me, there is a lot more to consider on the audio side if you are a critical listener.

12. Michael_Mc

Michael_Mc Extra

I'm new to HT and have been looking to purchase a HT system.

I haven't even thought about the video and have been concentrating on speakers first. I eventually will add a wide screen tv, but I thought speakers first, amp/processor or receiver second, then dvd player and tv.

Just a beginners thoughts.

Mike