1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

what is the dvd player that does the best down conversion on 4:3 analog sets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Jul 25, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Hello all,

the subject line says it all. What player do people consider the best in this area? I don't expect to have an HDTV-ready set for awhile and just would like a list of players in the < $500 range that do a nice job with the down conversion. I currently have a Toshiba SD2700 and have read that Toshibas have historically done a 'poor' job with the down conversion. Is this still true or is the SD4800 a marked improvement?

thanks,

--tom

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Thomas people generally say the Panasonics and Pioneers offer the best downconverted image with toshiba's being at one extreme and Sony's being at the to soft end. IMO I started out with a Tosh and sold it due to the downconversion. I then got a Panasonic and although the image was much better then the Tosh I still noticed the jaggies all the time so I sold it and bought a Sony 7700 which I love. I do notice its image is softer then the panasonics but for me I notice the soft image less then the jaggies so for me the sony helps me focus on the movie not the artifacts.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

What Andrew said is true but the newer Toshibas have improved their downconversion. I don't really know where they fall on the scale now, but I figure they're probably in the middle road now along with Panasonic and Pioneer.

Downconversion isn't really a major issue with the latest generation of players IMHO. They all do a decent job for the most part, except maybe the really cheap entry-level models.

KJP

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thanks for the information.

I was considering getting the Toshiba SD4800. I have a SD2700 but will be moving that to another room. I will consider another non-Toshiba player if there is a definite marked improvement. We have a 27 inch Toshiiba tv at the moment (27A40) but may upgrade eventually to a 32 inch HDTV-ready set and I was hoping to have the SD4800 transition to that upgrade. So, I'm really looking for a good progressive player as well as one that does decent downconversion for our current setup.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

thanks,

--tom