1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the disc pricing going to be?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Darren Gross, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

How much are Blu-Ray and HD-DVD software going to be?

I think that this factor will determine the success or failure of the formats moreso than any other. It all depends on how high a price jump is going to be set between DVD titles and the same title in High Definition.

2. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

I expect about $5, $10 tops. But nothing has been set in stone, yet.

3. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

A dealer on the AVS forum reported pricing of $29.99 to $39.99, so it looks like a $10 premium on list price. With disk supplies more limited, I doubt you'll see many 30-40% discounts for awhile, though.

Remember this premium buys you not only a superior picture, but a superior soundtrack as well.

Netflix has announced they will carry all HD-DVD and Blu-ray disks at launch, at no additional charge.

4. WillG

WillG Producer

With Blu-Ray and HD-DVD having the capability to Downrez material to 540p, the measure that Hollywood somehow seems so sure is the answer to piracy, shouldn't the discs be cheaper than what SD-DVD is priced at now?

5. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

How do you figure? DVDs are encoded at 720x480i. The most you will ever get is 720 horizontal lines of resolution.

HD-DVD and Blu-ray are encoded at 1920x1080p. On most titles, you will get that full 1920x1080. On a some titles, which will specify downconversion on the box, you'll get 960x540p if your set doesn't have HDCP/HDMI. Both are a significant step up from DVD. This is also a significant step up from what you get with a channel like HBO HDTV or Starz HD, both of which use lower quality transfers with vertical filtering and higher compression to accomodate the bandwidth limitations of cable and satellite transmission.

In addition, you'll get 10x the audio bit rate for movie soundtracks on HD-DVD and Blu-ray -- including lossless audio. The audio quality and surround audio improvement alone on these formats justifies the price, imo. I think you'll find many on this forum without HDTVs upgrading to HD-DVD or Blu-ray for the superior audio. No DVD-A/SACD lover will want to be without these new formats. Why would you buy a DVD movie with MP3-quality audio when you can buy a HD-DVD or BD movie with DVD-A/SACD quality audio?

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I think WillG was insinuating that if Hollywood is marketing this as a piracy stopper, then we should see cheaper discs since they won't be 'losing all that revenue' to piracy...

7. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

8. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

A disc shouldn't have a SRP more than $40