what is the difference betwen an ED and an HD T.V? Also....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by todd stone, Sep 11, 2003.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

here are two types of Plasma tv's out, and ED and an HD...I know HD is probably better, but how much worse would ED be, any idea? they are about 1K cheaper for a 42 inch

any guidance is appreciated

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Here's what Rodolfo La Maestra, who deals with these things, has to say about EDTV vs. HDTV:

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Todd, if you are considering an enhanced-def Plasma, see the AVSforum plasma FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=167397

In particular, the link EDTV proliferation may interest you. The short version: ED plasmas will downconvert HD to the plasma's native resolution. Many people find that past 8 feet or so, they are unable to tell the distance between the two (at least in regards to the Panasonic 42” ED models, which are regarded as one of the top models for PQ). For the 2k or so, they settle with it. Not everybody, but quite a few. Personally that is my plan, I don't care about HDTV, I am interested in progressive for DVDs and video games, new and oldschool.

Also, the ED plasmas have less upscaling to do, so standard def sources like cable, VCR, etc actually tend to look better (less upscaling artifacts). So, it depends on your viewing habits and likes (like anything HT related [​IMG] )

The Panny 42" TH-42PWD6UY can be found for about $2800 now, they are coming close to affordability.