What's new

what is the difference between pre-amp and amplifier? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
these terms are confusing me.

separates

pre-amps

pre-pro

amplifier

i was looking at outlaw 950 picture. i thought it was an amplifier. but i saw "preamp / processor" written on the face plate.

what does that mean?

thanks in adv

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Felix,
Signals come from a source (CD player, DVD player, VHS player), then go to a pre-amplifier to get some corrections and make it standard (also may have treble and bass regulated). Then go to a processor to have it divided for multichannel output, then go to (power-) amplifiers to produce power (voltage times current), then can drive a speaker.
If the pre-amplifier and the amplifiers are combined (with a processor too) it's called a receiver. Therefore, if the power-amplifiers are not all inside a receiver, that's called separates.
In the old days, when multi-channel audio (except stereo) wasn't common (at least not the "coded" form), you had integrated amplifiers - of course they still exist, there are many audio freaks around - meaning the pre-amp and the power-amp were together, and generally two of them to form a stereo combination.
Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks