What's new

What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R (1 Viewer)

Jim LaPlant

Auditioning
I am going to buy a DVD burner but I don't understand the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R. I have been searching for info without any luck . I thought there might be someone here that could explain. Thanks

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I don't know the technicalities, but these are two different formats. Sony has just released a burner that does all the formats: DRU-500A , if you're interested.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
DVD-R is more widely accepted, but finalizes slower. DVD+R is a new format more or less introduced to screw things up, and finalizes more quickly.

Me

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
DVD-R and DVD-RW are officially supported by the DVD Forum.

DVD+R and +RW are not recognized by the DVD Forum.

Both can produce working discs, but I have my opinion on which is likely to remain standing ;)

Regards,

Adil M

Supporting Actor
John Kotches is the master of giving just enough info and then leaving out any personal rec'd which is all people look for on this forum anyway.

Well I believe DVD_RAM is the best format and will win.
What do you think John and WHY?

:D

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
DVD-RAM is great for computer applications, it's accessed similarly to a hard drive. But it isn't the solution for burning your own DVDs, either DVD-ROM, DVD-A or DVD-V.

I think DVD-R and DVD-RW have the best long term viability, because of the backing of the DVD forum.

Regards,

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a link with a few posts about +r vs -r:
dvd-r vs dvd +r

Philips is the big dvd+r provider, I think. Here is a link to a pro dvd+rw site (I haven't found one for a -r site): dvdplusrw.org

I, too, am torn as I am in the market SOON (less than a month).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Will it ever be possible to make dual-layer recordable DVDs? One thing that's stopping me from getting a recorder now is blank discs are single-layer, and if they come out with dual-layer blanks you'll probably need a new machine to record on them.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
DVD-RAM is great for computer applications, it's accessed similarly to a hard drive. But it isn't the solution for burning your own DVDs, either DVD-ROM, DVD-A or DVD-V.
DVD-RAM can be great for initial capturing, then offline editing on a PC to then burn to DVD-R.

Of course, most DVD recorder buyers don't have this need.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
In case anyone was wondering, I think DVD-Ram is a horrible format for the consumer. It was supposed to BAIT John.:)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
DVD-R finalized to DVD-Video is by far the most compatible playback format with DVD players. It takes approximatley 4 minutes to finalize a DVD-R to DVD-Video. Stay away from the + format. Purchase either DVD-R / RAM or DVD-R /-RW.

Blank DVD-R's cost $1.00 each or less. RAM's are $7 - 8 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks