What's new

what is the defintion of "do it yourself" (1 Viewer)

KyleCT

Stunt Coordinator
does DIY mean you just buy the amp, buy the driver, and build a box and put it all in? At first i was thinking DIY meant actually designing and building the amplifier too. So i guess the question is, do you have to know anything about speakers to build your own sub (apart from what people on this forum tell you)? It seems wood working skills are more important. How hard is it to build a box? Does it need to be perfectly airtight? Is there special wood that is used?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
D.I.Y. could also mean designing your own box, too. There are many different pieces of software out there which allow you to do this task. The software will allow you to look at several scenarios for the subwoofer you intend to build such as: ported, sealed design or passive radiator design. Additionally, size and drivers can be modeled with the software to allow one to make a good determination for a sub that will work good in their room.

Building a cabinet really isn't too hard. Adire Audio makes some pretty good plans that are not too hard to follow if you were going to utilize their 12" Shiva driver or 15" Tempest driver - or, other similar drivers.

It's not that a carpenter is any better at woodworking, it's just that the carpenter is better at hiding their mistakes. ;)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Investing thousands of dollars to build inexpensive audio equipment.:D
DIY is what you're willing to put into it. For me, I have infinitely more respect for people that build their own quality audio gear than for those that brag about their $100K audio system that they picked up at the local high-end store. Although, I don't mind listening to it. ;)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the DIY.

Most people refer to a DIY assembly, in which they source and assemble parts to their desires. This is the most common DIY scenario wether your building subwoofers, bathroom sinks, or hot rod '67 camaros.

IF your going to build a component yourself, you'll usually say, I have a "DIY driver" or ""I'm making a DIY enclosure".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's like home improvement projects: you come up with what you want, go find the pieces, put it together and pat yourself on the back once you're done. Or, you could call a contractor and be done with it. The first case constitutes DIY, the second case does not.

DIY is about design, integration, and labor poured into a project. Otherwise, if you buy a packaged solution off the shelf, then, that's not really DIY.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
unless you are planning to go out and forge metal, fabricate wire, resisters, caps, mill heat sinks, ets.. its all sourced from somewhere at some point.

i supose some would consider buying off the shelf components and integrating them into a room a DIY home theater. (it did require some assembly, right? not to far from a kit speaker where the cabinet is already complete and the crossover pre assembled.)

its really a point of view thing i suppose.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Within an A/V HT environment, I think "DIY" can be separated from setting up something yourself.

I wouldn't consider hooking up components in a HT setup a true DIY project, it's expected that a consumer would have to make the connection to interface that component with the rest of the gear. Otherwise, tying your shoelaces could be considered a DIY activity. :) It's out of the ordinary to put together speakers (from an average consumer standpoint) from a cluster of parts, even in kit form. It's not out of the ordinary to expect someone to connect a DVD player to a receiver.

People do make their own amplifiers, though it less common because of the need for other types of tools and measurement equipment to make sure the parts are connected properly (else you risk things going up in smoke when you plug in the power cord to the electrical outlet). If you know what you are doing, you can build powerful amplifiers for a fraction of what an amp of comparable power would cost.

The same goes for pre-amps, processors, and other A/V source. The amount of test equipment needed to develop these components (and fabricate the components) from scratch would far outstrip the value of creating them on a small scale. It's an unreasonable expectation when discussing DIY projects.

DIY Speakers and subwoofers are much more tangible and achievable and affordable projects, especially if a proven plan is followed. The same goes for stands, and racks, and projector screens/walls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks